Does one NEED to fix oil leaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does one NEED to fix oil leaks?

Is an oil leak something that could damage the engine? I know this could depend on where it is - I have a leak coming from the left side of the engine somewhere near or under the clutch cover (it's not the stator cover I replaced that one recently). It leaks more than a couple drops every time I ride it (see picture), but I check the oil every day (sometimes twice a day if I'm doing more than a scenic route around town) and top it up if it gets low, which happens far less often than I would think considering the leak.
    I don't really care about the asthetic cleanliness of the bike, its not "spraying" onto any of my clothing and quite honestly I think a little bit of an oil leak adds a bit of character and charm to the whole thing.

I know that I "should" track down and fix this but do I NEED to?

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Fix it. I know that doesn't answer the question, but human nature dictates that if you let this go, you're likely to let other things go. So yes, you NEED to fix it.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2014, 10:16 PM. Reason: Unintended insult.

Comment

If it were me I'd try to track it down since it's leaking enough to drip on the ground. That's a little 'too' much character for me.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Agree with Allie.

Some people freak out when they see some seepage forming around a gasket, I myself just see an old motorcycle... erm... expressing itself.

But a leak big enough to drop oil on the ground whenever the bike is parked is a problem. It's probably leaking more when it's going down the road. And given the location, there's a fair chance that it could also lubricate the rear tire if it gets any bigger.

I just fixed a smaller leak than this on my 750. Had to replace a crankshaft oil seal. It was far less work than I thought it was going to be at first. Willing to bet yours is an equally straightforward fix.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
          I have a leak coming from the left side of the engine somewhere near or under the clutch cover ...
          It's time to learn about your bike.

If it's leaking on the left side, it's NOT leaking under the clutch cover. The clutch is on the RIGHT side of the bike.

I don't remember who it is, but somebody here has this for a signature line:
          "That's not oil, that's sweat from all the horsepower."
          Somehow, I'm not sure that would apply to a 450.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just saw it's a 450. He should man up and get a bigger bike, nevermind the leak.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
              I just saw it's a 450. He should man up and get a bigger bike, nevermind the leak.
              That's an insulting comment. So he is not a man if he rides a 450cc bike? What does getting a larger displacement motorcycle have to do with fixing his leak?

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                That's an insulting comment. So he is not a man if he rides a 450cc bike? What does getting a larger displacement motorcycle have to do with fixing his leak?
                Agreed. That comment was insulting. Everyone doesn't need or even want, a bigger bike.

Comment

Better yet you could 'man up' and nevermind the size of his bike since you're not the one riding it.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

OK, no insult intended. Just that, like the other posters, my view is to repair the oil leak and it is pretty absurd to consider not doing it.
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Besides what everybody else said, who said I was a man? I often see comments about "manning up" on here that I find quite insulting.

As for the leak. I'm going after it seeing that its leaving little oil drop stains on the driveway despite my cardboard "docking station".
                      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                      1977 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        It's time to learn about your bike.

If it's leaking on the left side, it's NOT leaking under the clutch cover. The clutch is on the RIGHT side of the bike.
                        I meant the cover that the clutch pushrod is under. There's no gasket there, though - could the bit where the pushrod goes in be leaking?
                        1977 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
                          Besides what everybody else said, who said I was a man? I often see comments about "manning up" on here that I find quite insulting.

As for the leak. I'm going after it seeing that its leaving little oil drop stains on the driveway despite my cardboard "docking station".
                          They don't realize that if they really need to get down to brass tacks they need to 'woman up'.

The infamous cardboard docking station. I've been known to use them in the past. They never seem to work as well as one would expect.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

If you get some oil accumulation on the engine block, valve cover, ect but it doesn't actually get to the ground you can live with it but when your bike starts "marking it's territory" like your is doing it needs attention. You seem to have a good little leak going there.

Comment

Leaks of any kind from a vehicle is annoying. I'm not too fond of annoying things.
                              But to answer your question, as long as you don't let it leak dry it wont damage the engine. Could be a bit dangerous though, if it gets on the rear tire.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                              X