77 gs400 timing chain tensioner issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 gs400 timing chain tensioner issues?

Hello everybody! I just finished a tuning ride on my bike and noticed a clunking coming from the timing chain. I checked the tensioner and when I tighten in, the noise goes away and all is good in the world. Once you bump the throttle, it kicks back out 3/4 of a turn. My 78 400 doesn't do this. Curious if anybody has ran into this before. Should I just replace it? Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2014, 02:40 AM.

What do you mean tighten it? Your not supposed to turn the knob when it's running.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Only when it is off, rotate till it stops, without pressure. Start bike, its quite and running great. Hit the throttle and back it off, it's rattling. Shut bike down and the tensioner is out a bit. It feels like is sticking. I'm going to pull it and clean, lube, and reset it. I just finished the bike yesterday and knew there would be some issues. I have to pull the carbs anyhow and move my needles up a slot. I was just seeing if anyone has ran into this before.

Comment

Do you know it's set properly? Lube shouldn't be a problem. Worn or damaged is more likely. I'd advise to check it's set per the manual. I bet half of the ones I see aren't set right. Great bikes the 400.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I had it off while restoring the bike. I installed it per the manual a couple weeks ago and thought everything was correct. It wouldn't be the first part of this bike that didn't survive the 25 years in storage.

Comment

This thing is bad... I think the knob section is bent. Thats probably why it is backing off and getting stuck. Time to find a new one. Thanks for your input Charlie!
            Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X