Engine clink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine clink

I'm currently workin on an 82 gs450. Everything seems to be workin fine except for a little clink I'm getting from sounds like, based my block of wood stethoscope, the right exhaust valve. It seems fairly slow. A clink per second, but sounds so clear. I was thinkin it could have been the cam chain tensioner. Tightened and loosened it, but the clink was unaffected. I had adjusted the valves about a month ago with no noise. I pulled the valve cover and checked the gaps. All were in spec and chain seemed good. The noise went away for a couple days then started back up. Im currently trying to upload a video. Any advice is much appreciated.

Here's the link. Sorry for the delay.

Comment

Does it have a slight miss or a shake when it does it? Vacuum gauge?

Comment

"..thinkin it could have been the cam chain tensioner. Tightened and loosened it, "
        just how did you do this? Make sure you understand how chain tensioner works - it's simplicity confuses folks.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I Loosened the lock nut and twisted the screw on the back side. The other side has the spring knurled nut...I believe it's called.

Comment

Hmmm. Head to this link to explain how to set/release tensioner for happy motoring. The slotted lockscrew on plunger shaft must be backed off and held in place with locknut. The knurled knob/spring gizmo pushes on ball which lets plunger shaft push out against chain-but not push back. You might have reset tensioner incorrectly and it's anxious to move out and take up chain slack, best to check.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks I'll give er a shot.

Comment

It is a automatic tensioner, after you get it reset, don't mess with it. Hopefully you haven't skipped a tooth.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

So I removed and cleaned the tensioner. It looked to be in decent shape...as far as I can tell. I followed the directions on engine odds and ends, got it all back together and still got that click!

Comment

I'm stumped with the once per second click stuff. Since you said it seemed from right exhaust valve side, how about disconnecting/extracting tach drive gizmo ?
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Me too. Thats why i posted the video....it's weird, it seems like a slow click for any valve stuff. Tach gizmo?

Comment

The tach drive runs off gear on exhaust cam next to right exhaust valve. It's a rinky dinky way to drive things at 90 degrees but it works . I'm wondering if the teeth aren't meshing correctly at times , or chipped?
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Hmmm. I'll give er a look. Thanks for the help pard.

Comment

At 1200 rpm engine, camshafts are turning 600 rpm or 10revs a second - too fast for once a second click stuff. But a point on chain itself would be considerably slower to make full "loop" ,i.e. pass same point- maybe a chain link is hitting something.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

That's a good point. Anything come to mind that could be makin contact?

Comment

Working...
                              X