Leak from tach cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak from tach cable

I have old crusty oil leaking out of the area where my cable enters the top end of the engine. Is this an easy fix on a 79 425e? What does it require?

Yep, easy fix. The cable threads into a sleeve which contains a gear which meshes with the exhaust cam. Have a look at the parts fiche. There are two seals, one inside the sleeve and one outside. Suzuki used the exact same setup for every GS model, so the OEM parts are readily available. Replace them both if you can.

If the sleeve is difficult to remove and you end up breaking it (rare but can happen), let me know because I have a minty new one I can cut you a deal on.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Took out the screw holding the whole piece in, twisted and pulled, no good. Suggestions?

Comment

Twist some more!

It will come out, somehow. Heat might help, along with a good long set of pliers or vice grips. Anything to give you leverage.
        Last edited by eil; 03-14-2015, 12:40 AM.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

You mentioned the screw.
          I am thinking the GS has a plate under the screw?
          Off also?
          If I remember correctly, when I took mine off to replace the seals, I used a Lg flat tip screwdriver to gently put a bit of leverage on the slot the plate slipped into on the mesh gear sleeve.
          Had to use a bit of ingenuity to find something to wedge against.
          A bit of a turn while leveraging and she slips off.

Do not be like me and not wrap the screwdriver tip with enough duct tape to fit it in snugly and protect that soft metal.
          I marked mine doing it because I was not thinking.

And to much force prying could snap it.
          Be gentle and patience.

Quick Pict.

[IMG][/IMG]

That is how it looks apart.

The parts on either end slipping into the center with gear shaft entering first and the end seal slipping over the now inserted shaft with the spring on the end seal keeping it snug at depression you see on the section of the geared shaft.
          That keep the three pieces together as one.

All that is holding it in and making it difficult would be the seal on the center piece.

Like rubber tends to do it is harder now more then when new and even more difficult to pass through.

After reading my last sentence I wonder if it would come off easier on a bike that has just been ridden and then switched off?
          If the heat would make the rubber more pliable as a heat gun will ion old airbox boots?

What Eil said!
          Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2015, 02:01 AM. Reason: What Eil said!

Comment

Working...
          X