450 no power, valve timing issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 no power, valve timing issue?

so the symptoms I am currently dealing with is power surges at all throttle positions. And just no real power, at any rpm.

I do have pod filter's with 120 main jets. Stock exhaust.

I have done a compression check got 120 psi on both cylinders
    Checked the timing and the arrow is sitting just above the valve cover, if I go one tooth down the arrow is well below the valve cover surface by about half to 3/4 of a link. I noticed the surging was gone with it low but still had no power. (Just changed this) with ether the 120 jets or the 122.5.

I have the duel vacuum gauge carb sync tool and when synching the carbs at roughly 1200 rpms I was only pulling about 3 to 4 in/hg when the timing was set below the gasket surface. This is what prompted me to re time the valves to where they are now.

I have a nice white spark.

I do have a fuel filter.

I'll post more as I remember. On my phone atm.

I am going around in cycles with this

Usually, the "rule of thumb" for jetting increases for pods will take you up 4 to 6 sizes, depending on the stock jetting and the quality of the pods. Using that "rule", you should have 125 to 130 mains, and probably need to raise the needles a bit, too.

What pods do you have installed?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok odd it didn't post my reply. That was it with everything else I had done the bike is now running better then it ever has.

Thank you I was told before to start 2 sizes up.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X