Straaaange noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straaaange noises

Hey, I've noticed some random tap sounds form my 81 gs450t. I'm pretty worried about it. It seems to be random but it usually happens when I pull in the clutch, the rpms going down, sometimes shifting down sometimes not. But sometimes it's just a small tap, sometimes a louder tap. And sometimes 2 or 3 consecutive taps, but it is never constant. It seems to be happening more now that when I noticed it. It happens more when the bikes is hotter. I was talking to a friend about it and he told me that I shouldn't fire up my bike when it's in 1st with the clutch in. Which I did a lot and didn't know it was bad, he thinks that has something to do with it. It's usually on a deceleration but sometimes on acceleration. It may be happening more often but I just can't hear it with the engine noise louder. I notice it most when I'm downshifting to a stop, like I'll pull the clutch, go from 4th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st, I'll press to 3rd, (hear the normal sound of shifting), take my foot off, here the little tap, or bigger tap or 2 taps. It's separate from the normal shift sound. What could it be? Should I try and go get it checked and fixed now before it gets worse or damages something else?

I was talking to a friend about it and he told me that I shouldn't fire up my bike when it's in 1st with the clutch in. Which I did a lot and didn't know it was bad, he thinks that has something to do with it.
    Only bad from a safety perspective, doesn't hurt the bike any unless it's been sitting long enough for the clutch plates to stick together. And then it just makes for an interesting few seconds.

Random ideas/questions:

- Just how new is this noise?
    - Does it happen at all when the bike is just sitting there idling or only on deceleration?
    - You're sure it isn't just popping from the exhaust?
    - does the chain have the correct amount of tension? Sprockets not worn out?
    - Something else on the bike loose? (Especially check exhaust, side stand, and center stand.)

If you haven't found it want to be really thorough, you could check the clutch basket and start clutch.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Noise defies description like people talking about music...but you've got me worried. Do not ignore your feelings. FIND IT...Random "taps","clunks" are bad, IMO. Your previous owners could all have been "new riders" and done all sorts of bad practise on this bike. who knows? small children helping with the oil change dropping coins or magnets in?
      eil is pointing to good possibles :easy first - go shake everything and not-so-easy next: have a look under the easiest removeable covers chain sprocket, valves,clutch,stator, sump for something obvious. a clutchbolt loosened a scrape or wear mark..or some bit of metal being picked up and tossed in one of the "trains"
      But I'd agree with your friend too. Sure, You can start the bike in gear just with clutch in .But I don't do this by habit...to me sort of a rare emerg thing if bike were to stall leaving a light or whatall. I first start my bike in neutral AND clutch in. It has a clutch safety switch. Even without the switch I do it.

Comment

Working...
      X