Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS 450 Cam Chain

Hey all

I am brand new to this forum. I have been trying to figure out a minor issue with my Cam Chain Tensioner for quite some time. No manual or person I know has any idea how to resolve the issue.

The bike: 1983 Gs 450 Twin

The noise: when I rev up the bike the external components on cam chain tension adjuster make a racket as it spins. While riding I can reach down and turn the the mechanism to the right to lock it for a few minutes (at max, usually a few seconds). The noise sounds like a fudged up valve...but is not.

Attempts to resolve: I have tightened the nut on the end in order to secure it more, but then the motor makes a more than uncomfortable whine, so I adjust back to where it was...only an 1/8th of a turn of nut does this.

Possible variables contributing to issue?:
    1. is it possible the synthetic oil I use is the culprit?
    2. maybe the part is flawed?
    3. The spring on the exterior does not look like a proper component to me.

Any help? experience?

Synthetic oil didn't do it. It's not supposed to spin at all. Something is not working right. Take it out, take it apart, see what's wrong.

Do you have a service manual?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have not taken apart because it is an external noise and I have never played with a tensioner. I just got a manual but not much is said about tensioner...other than basic removal

Comment

Then basically remove it, following the steps in the manual, take it apart and see why it isn't working. Again, there should be no spinning.

If the cam chain skips because the tensioner isn't working right, you will have very big repairs required to get it running again.

Comment

One more thing, that knob should be spring loaded to the right, or clockwise direction. If you turn it counter clockwise a little bit the chain gets loose, the noise begins. Turn it too far, the chain skips a few teeth, engine destruction begins. Let it go, it turns back clockwise, the noise goes away. This is with a properly functioning tensioner. You shouldn't turn the nut clockwise, there is no reason to do this.

Comment

You can also use the procedure found here - http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html to replace the seals inside of it as Tom is recommending. Take a look also at http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ to get other maintenance information for your bike.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I never said anything about changing seals, that might cause a leak but it won't cause the spinning knob. Someone put something together wrong, wound the spring the wrong way or something.

Comment

Go here and do some reading...

yes, it's no fun to remove tensioner (and reset and reinstall correctly), but it's real bad news if chain skips. You need to fix this ASAP. Sounds like yours has been installed wrong.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I do have service manual that says next to nothing about the tensioner. I will look at these online resources.

Comment

32-year-old clock spring might just be tired. You can take the cam chain tensioner off and wind up the clock spring on the outside some more (as Tom mentioned, it should be turning the handle clockwise as you look at it). Yes the seals are mostly about oil leaks and not operation. Of course if you take the cam chain tensioner off, you might as well spend the few bucks for the seals to rebuild it anyway.

Comment

the resources you all offered are awesome...just looking in comparison ot looks like spring is ****ered so I will take a closer work

Comment

Working...
                      X