Cable Tie method of replacing valve shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable Tie method of replacing valve shims

Has anybody used this method as documented on Basscliff's Webite (Mr Matchless post).

My question is:

If you insert a cable tie through the plug hole to hold the valve open while you remove your shim - do you just pull the cable tie out (without rotating the motor) - or do you rotate the motor the correct way until you can remove the cable tie.

In other words - do you run the risk of clipping the piston with the valve that is held open or do you rotate the motor in reverse to remove the cable tie ?

I have and I turn the crank in the normal direction to get the tie out. Haven't clipped anything yet and I'm sure if I thought about it for a bit I could show it was impossible. Dragging the tie sounds risky, not only letting a valve snap back but also dislodging something on the valve that was helping seal it.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I do it ALL THE TIME. I have not yet been shown how "easy" it is to use the "proper tool", so I continue to use my zip-ties.

It has been a while since I have read those instructions, but the basic concept is: rotate crank to open the valve. Insert the end of a folded (and secured to itself) zip-tie under the valve. Rotate the crank one full turn, remove the shim. Inspect, change, do whatever you need with the shim, put it back in. Rotate the crank one full turn, pull the zip-tie out. Move to the next valve.

Yeah, it's a lot of crank turning, but the only time you have to do very much of it is the first time you check your valves and need to inventory them. Next time around, the only time you will need to use the zip-tie is for any shims that need to be changed, which might be just one or two.

Here is a picture that might help illustrate what you are trying to do:

This is also a good time to point out the offer in my sig.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just did tho the other day with the Suzuki tool, I can't imagine anything easier. The zip tie method isn't, I have done it when I didn't have my tools, didn't like it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I always turn the crank to release the zip tie to avoid dislodging material from the valve and/or losing a piece of the zip tie into the engine.
          "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Just did tho the other day with the Suzuki tool, I can't imagine anything easier. The zip tie method isn't, I have done it when I didn't have my tools, didn't like it.
            Yeah well...... I'm curious with all the turning of the motor how much oil is puked down the front of the motor. I too, have tried it once a long time ago before I bought my shim kit and can't remember if it was a problem.
            Last edited by Sandy; 05-15-2015, 10:24 AM.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
              Yeah well...... I'm curious with all the turning of the motor how much oil is puked down the front of the motor. I too, have tried it once a long time ago before I bought my shim kit and can't remember if it was a problem.
              Not a single drop actually. You're not moving a whole lot of oil with those crank turns.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I will agree. At hand-cranking speeds, no oil gets "puked" down the front.

And, ... it's only a short turn of the crank, not constant spinning.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You're turning it with a wrench by hand Sandy, not with the starter motor.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                    You're turning it with a wrench by hand Sandy, not with the starter motor.
                    Yeah, I realize that. I just thought the pump would still push a bit up top and overflow at the front.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I also only use this method and haven't had any problems, I find it nice and simple... mind you I've never had the opportunity to try the factory tool so I can't compare.

I also always rotate the crank to remove the cable tie.
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I replace the shims with quarters. They are thick enough to keep the cam lobes away from the ridge of the bucket, and it reduces the amount of times you have to turn the crank. And you can have all 8 shims out to swap them around, or as I do take them to my local mechanic friend and swap them out for the ones I need.
                        1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                        sigpic
                        My GS550 Build

Comment

Great - thanks for the info guys

Steve - I have a copy of your spreadsheet, thanks mate

Comment

Working...
                          X