Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 GS450 oil filter screw stripped ! Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS450 oil filter screw stripped ! Help!!

Hey guys I'm a proud new owner of a 1985 gs450. I just went through a nightmare after buying a Honda and spending loads of money in the shop only to find out it is a lemon.. So I found a solid gs450.. I drained the oil and changed the oil filter but It was leaking oil from the filter as my O-ring was sitting out of the groove a bit.. In the process I stripped out one of the screws that holds the plate over the filter.. I'm so weary of taking this thing to the shop here in nashville and waiting God knows how long to fix this. I'm thinking it isn't too big of an issue.. I'm not sure how on earth to replace the screw since it comes out of the motor. Can someone shed a little light on how serious this is and hopefully give me some pointers if this is something I could probably do myself.. I can do a little tinkering but if the engine has to come off then that is more than I'm able to do. Thank you guys! I look forward to learning and contributing with more than questions in the future

thank you!
    adam
    Attached Files

Is the cap nut stripped or the stud bolt itself? If it's the bolt, use vice grips to grab bolt and remove from crankcase try heat on crankcase area to expand aluminum more than steel bolt.. Get new one and reinstall without damaging the threads that cap nut bites on.
    Next time,use grease to hold o-ring in cover in right position. Don't over tighten !
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you so much!! Assuming the bolts just twist out?

Comment

Fixed it brother! Thank you very much.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.
          There is a great sense of satisfaction in fixing something on these old bikes let alone the cost saving.
          We all started somewhere.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
          X