No announcement yet.

Dead Starter Motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom203 you were right. What I followed according to the Cam Chain Tensioner Removal instructions: "Before installing the tensioner, completely compress the spring-loaded plunger and secure it with lockscrew"

However, from the Installation and Timing of the crankshaft section: " Push in on the spring-loaded plunger while rotating the large knurled nut counterclockwise (Figure 31). When the plunger is pushed in as far as possible, secure it with the lockscrew."

I followed the first direction when installing it, and didn't also back out the spring-loaded knurled nut when pushing in the pushrod. So the cam chain had extra tension causing the extra load.

I ran the engine for probably about 2 minutes with the adjuster in improperly. I'm wandering what kind of damage I could have done during that time. The bike starts up and runs normally now, but there's a whirring noise that I never noticed before that is making me a little anxious...
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Just wind knob back, retract plunger shaft, lock in position, then reintall tensioner and release plunger lockscrew - as long as it feeds out And doesn't push back, life should be good with low anxiety. Maybe the rear chain guide was slighty disturbed, but this seems farfetched.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Could anybody tell me how hot their adjuster gets after a ride? Mines getting pretty hot and I don't have a reference point to compare to. Thinking it's just heat coming off the cylinder but am paranoid there's something moving around in there (knob is stationary and seems to be working just fine).
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550

Comment

Paranoid? These suckers run hot! Why not take camcover off (and msybe fuel tank for visibility) and see if you can inspect the rear chain guide- maybe it got knocked out of alignment
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I had to take the rear camshaft out to get a good look and everything seems to be okay - for a moment I thought that the gasket between the cylinder/head was some kind of gouge in the wall there which was a bit of a scare!
            Everythings back together now though and running well. Thanks Tom203 for all your help!
            1977 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
              I had to take the rear camshaft out to get a good look ....!
              you are thorough! Of course, you noted (and restored) the timing of the camshafts when you replaced that camshaft???
              Someone once said.... "You can't be too paranoid"
              1981 gs650L

Comment

Yup everythings back in place and in working order. I almost put the wrong number of chain links between the '2' and '3' marks on the camshafts - its one less for the 450 than for the 400 and 425 and I misread at a glance- glad I double checked before I bolted it back in!
                1977 GS550

Comment

Good boy! Enjoy some riding- beantown has drivers who excel at bad driving, so take care at all times.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                  X