Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Pinging" sound on a fresh engine build - ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Pinging" sound on a fresh engine build - ideas?

So here's the story: last season there were some issues with the bottom end on my GR650. Nothing major, just a couple oil leaks around the oil pan and a stripped thread for the sprocket cover. Since I have a couple engines around I figured I'd swap the top end from that engine to another bottom end I had. Now that riding season is pretty much here in PA, I've noticed a high pitched ping sound from about 2k to 5k rpm. I dumped the low octane gas from the tank and put in some 93 octane in, but the problem persists. Any ideas what to look for? Here is some info about the engine / intake / exhaust:

Aftermarket VM34's with a K&N filter (jetted similar to what's found on an XS650).
    New gaskets throughout the engine.
    Valve seals replaced, valves lapped.
    Valve clearances within the high side of the spec.
    Pistons / rings / cylinders in good condition.
    2-1 exhaust with Supertrapp muffler.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

If this pinging doesn't get more noticeable under load (like going up steep hill), it's not a octane problem.
    so you got the original top end on another bottom end? Have you tried fiddling with the camchain tensioner?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yep - the pinging noise is constant from 2k-5k rpm (and maybe higher up but I can't hear it), and matches engine speed.

And correct about the original top end on a different bottom end. The top end has been run for a couple years with no issues, and the bottom end came from a low mileage bike that was wrecked.

And I have not messed with the CCT since the engine was reassembled. I can check it out though soon.

Thanks!
      Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2016, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Looks like you jetted the carbs based on experience, but have not done any follow up to check it.
        Like: Colortune or plug tip observations.
        Those mods would lean the mix, you may have to richen it up in some of the usual ways.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Hmmm.... I'm not 100% sure about that Bill. The last entire riding season I had on the bike (with the original top & bottom end) I had the same intake settings, and a modified MAC 2-1 exhaust with the Supertrapp muffler. So aside from the bottom end swap mentioned above, the other difference is the new 2-1 exhaust.

While I did some carb tuning for the original setup, I can definitely look back into it this week. I'll also be double checking valve clearances and cam timing while I'm there.

Thanks gentlemen.

Comment

So this morning when I got off work I did a compression test after the motor was warm: 170 on the left, 165 on the right. Started checking the carb sync, but ran out of time.

I was talking to a coworker and he asked about the oil and filter. He said there is another guy here that had a clicking noise from his GSXR and the problem turned out to be the wrong filter was installed from a shop (too restrictive I guess?) which caused the ticking from minor oil starvation. Anybody else heard of that?

Hopefully I get some good news this week since I'm off for a couple days.

Edit: I thought the oil filter comment was interesting because I changed the oil & filter recently, and had to use a K&N oil filter.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2016, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Problem solved!

I finally pulled the fairing off to better diagnose the source of the sound - and as soon as I did I could see the exhaust collar rattling. The stock header bolts are 8x38mm, and for years I have been using 8x35mm. But when I was ordering parts for the engine rebuild, I also ordered the stock size bolts. Years of debris must have accumulated in the bottoms of the female holes in the engine, because the 8x38mm bolts were tight..... but not tight against the exhaust collar. Some cleaning solution, a dental pick, and some compressed air = problem solved!

Thanks again to everybody for the ideas though. It's nice when it is a simple fix.

Comment

Yeah ok and good for you.
                Be careful about the words you use describing engine sounds. Engine “ping” has a specific meaning: premature ignition.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Hah; once again, the escaping exhaust gas sounds like a terminal engine problem.
                  How many GS owners have had their imaginations and fears play with them because of that?
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                    Yeah ok and good for you
                    Be careful about the words you use describing engine sounds. Engine “ping” has a specific meaning: premature ignition.
                    Actually the ping you hear is detonation. Normal ignition you won't hear now matter how early it is. If it's early enough it can cause detonation, just like a lean mix or a poorly shaped combustion chamber.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                      Problem solved!
                      Thanks again to everybody for the ideas though. It's nice when it is a simple fix.

Hehe, this reminds me of a time on a trip my wife's GS500E developed a just off idle knock that I swore was big end bearing failure. Turned out to be a broken case guard mount that was letting the guard rattle against the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        Hah; once again, the escaping exhaust gas sounds like a terminal engine problem.
                        How many GS owners have had their imaginations and fears play with them because of that?
                        That's just it (especially in my case). A strange sound coming from the engine turns into a game of "what is going to blow up next?".

I've never heard detonation and / or pre-ignition in an engine, so I assumed that's what it was.

Comment

Working...
                        X