Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I missing something, left case cover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I missing something, left case cover.

Any tips for removing the left engine case cover? She is being real stubborn and I hate to start prying on it. Can't get it to pop free with rubber mallet and/or a small dead blow. Maybe remove the emblem and take a look but it doesn't show anything in the book or parts Fische holding it to the cover.

After 30 years I would expect a little effort but man, she won't budge. TIA.

Besides the stuck gasket you are fighting a really strong magnet.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Understood Tom. It just needs to give me a little. Man, I hate to pry on the cover.

Comment

There's also two dowels that could be gummed up causing it to stick, just pry it a bit at the back (towards the front sprocket) and give it a wack in that spot as well. There is a dowel at the front of the cover as well and like Tom said the magnet is pretty strong.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Success! Just a little pry did it. Sometimes you just need to walk away, pour a cup of java and start over.

Comment

Hey guys, didn't see any gasket sealer used on the left cover. Needed? I'm thinking not necessary.

Comment

You would be right.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks guys! All back together. Sanded the front cover down with 1500 grit than hand polished with Deep Purple cleaner. Just the look I wanted.

Hit the sprocket cover the same way. I had polished this part on a buffer but sanding then hand polished to bring the shine down.

Comment

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
                  Thanks guys! All back together. Sanded the front cover down with 1500 grit than hand polished with Deep Purple cleaner. Just the look I wanted.

Hit the sprocket cover the same way. I had polished this part on a buffer but sanding then hand polished to bring the shine down.
                  Deep Purple cleaner? Never heard of it, but I'll look it up. I hope you listened to Smoke On The Water or Space Truckin' while polishing it.

It looks brand new!

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                  Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Called purple cleaner. Bought years ago on Amazon, need to order up another bottle. Made by California Customs.

Comment

All products highly recommended by California Customs.

Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2016, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X