Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question on Mac 2-1 exhaust leak (GS450)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question on Mac 2-1 exhaust leak (GS450)

Hi everyone, I've finally got my 450 running. It's backfiring a bit when the choke is on but other than that it seems relatively solid. The revs are slow to come back down, so my slides may be a bit stuck. When I put the tach gear in, I dripped some oil on the headers and I assumed the smoke coming off of them was the oil burning off. But on closer inspection it looks like it's leaking at the headers and where the pipes join as well (just beneath the oil filter cover). So my questions are this;

Should I use muffler cement on where the pipes join to seal it?

Is there a trick to getting the headers all the way in? They're bolted tight but they stick out a lot more than the stock setup.

Thanks.

Wouldn't hurt I would think. Did you also replace the gaskets at the head?

I have an email into MAC concerning the long bracket as I am looking at this exhaust. Does it come with a way to stop the center stand on the left side? Might be that long bracket. TIA.

Comment

I did, they're a weird crush washer and I'm not sure how they work. Are you supposed to replace them every time you take the exhaust off? Because I had the bike running for a total of maybe 5 minutes for the first time in January and I don't remember the exhaust leaking.

What exactly are you wondering about the center stand? I can take pictures of it for you as I haven't found any others online as of yet.

Comment

I would think you should be ok at the head unless you hear it there. Not expensive to buy.

Yes, we like pictures here. Lots of them. I'm just wondering what stops the center stand from going into the chain. The long bracket?

Also, how does the muffler mount? Sliding bracket in the muffler?

Comment

I couldn't tell you quite yet. I put the original chain back on and it was so stretched I was able to pull it off the sprocket with the rear wheel all the way back. The chain was resting on the swingarm it was so bad. I bought new sprockets and chain and I'll post a picture when they come in. I'll post the exhaust pictures and video tomorrow when I'm on my computer. I'm going to try soak the carbs again and see if that helps with the weird idle.

Comment

Untitled by Bobertbarker, on Flickr

The muffler is supposed to mount to the passenger foot peg. Since my PO chopped those off, I mounted it to the old muffler mount using a bracket that came with it (meant for the foot peg)

And here are two videos of it running, still not quite right yet. Click the still picture to be directed to the video.

The smoke is more visible in this video.

Comment

I would think you could feel the leak, it's pretty loud. A piece of fuel line or smaller with a brass/chrome tube in the end should narrow it down.

OK, sliding mount on the muffler but on the other side what stops your center stand from hitting the chain? Only picture I didn't see. TIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
                I would think you could feel the leak, it's pretty loud. A piece of fuel line or smaller with a brass/chrome tube in the end should narrow it down.

OK, sliding mount on the muffler but on the other side what stops your center stand from hitting the chain? Only picture I didn't see. TIA.
                The steaming issue was from oil dripping from the tach cable, I forgot to slide the cover back down and it was dripping on the headers and burning. It still has the hissing sound indicating a leak. How should I use the fuel line for leak testing?

Also sorry I didn't have the picture of the chain and center stand, I took my old chain off and threw it out. I'll post a picture for you as soon as my new chain and sprockets come in.

Comment

Just hold the tube to your ear. Metal tubing to the pipe of course. Stethoscope if you will.

There has to be a bracket from the rear foot peg on the "left" side to stop the center stand when in the up position. If not the center stand rises into the chain. Thought maybe you had some instructions or a long bracket with a bend in one end that came with the exhaust. What on line pictures I have seen shows this bracket.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2016, 04:47 PM. Reason: Text

Comment

OH. my mistake, I was totally misinterpreting what you were asking. I do have that bracket, but it came with no instructions whatsoever. My PO cut off the passenger foot pegs unfortunately, but my center stand is currently being stopped by the muffler mount on the right side of the bike.

Comment

Really? Dang, I was kind of hot for one but don't want it hitting the muffler mount. Can't seem to find a answer.

I am looking for a left bracket for a fab job but I bet that long bracket is for the center stand.

Comment

I'll post a picture of where it hits, it doesn't seem to me like it'd be that big of a problem. What stops it with the stock exhaust, the cross pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by JRHemmen View Post
                          I'll post a picture of where it hits, it doesn't seem to me like it'd be that big of a problem. What stops it with the stock exhaust, the cross pipe?
                          On mine it's the left exhaust bracket with a rubber cushion.

Comment

Working...
                          X