my gs450 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my gs450 problem

i messed my head up on my 83 gs450t so i order a another one of ebay with the cams and caps but when i put it in time the engine will rotate about 3/4 of the way and stops and it wont move but the valves are free and i don't see any interference marks on the head or the pistons some help would be great appreciated

Originally posted by possumshole View Post
    i messed my head up on my 83 gs450t so i order a another one of ebay with the cams and caps but when i put it in time the engine will rotate about 3/4 of the way and stops and it wont move but the valves are free and i don't see any interference marks on the head or the pistons some help would be great appreciated
    We need some more info. How did you mess up your other head? If all you did was remove the head then something(a valve) has to be hitting a piston. Is the replacement head and cams stock and are you sure the cams are timed right to the crank?
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

yes the timing is right and the cams are stock i put the crank on the mark after the r t then set the cams so their 18 pens between 2 and 3 could the valve shims be wrong or could i have the wrong head

Comment

i think the head i"m trying to use is off a 80 model gs450 and my is a 83 gs450t but i wouldn't think this would cause a interference problem

Comment

The different head should work fine but maybe the cam markings are different?

Unless the camchain is locked up at the crank it can only be incorrectly timed cams.......or you left a socket in the cylinder....
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

thanks for the help i changed the cams and it worked now i can go back together

Comment

Working...
            X