1982 Gs450L crankcase seperation & new conrod bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Gs450L crankcase seperation & new conrod bearings

Well i bought a 1982 gs 450 back in January, got it all cleaned up, tested & registered.
    Now on my 3rd ride the engine decided to lock up and hasn't moved since, and i need it back

A week later and i have everything neatly all apart, but here is where it gets difficult, my left conrod is seized solid where it connects to the crank. (the needle bearing) So i need to get the crankshaft out and get that batboy replaced.

cylinder is off, left & right cases are off, bottom oil pan, clutch and all the bolts holding the crankcase together (i hope) but i cannot get those things apart!!! Can anyone please help me to figure out whats still holding them together.
    Cheers

There are screws that come in both top and bottom holding the crankcase halves together. I think you may also have to remove the clutch assembly and the shifting mechanism behind the clutch. I haven't worked on a 450 in a while but bottom line is you need to remove a lot of parts before splitting the cases.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There is a bolt that lives under the oil pickup screen which you've probably missed.

Do you have the workshop manual?

There is no needle bearing on the rod on these engines; it's a shell bearing - two piece. The crank will most likely be unusable so be prepared to replace the whole thing. This is not simple as the bearing clearances will need to be adjusted with appropriate bearing shells.

Have you assembled a complete engine before?
      '82 GS450T

Comment

i found that bolt, and their still properly stuck together! does the flywheel need to come off?
        i dont, buit i have ordered the haynes manual.
        Right i see, well i have only rebuilt 2 stroke motocross engines, and also only 2 of them.
        looks like I'm in a bit of trouble, as my local garage won't touch it either :/

Comment

The service manual is downloadable through Bike Cliff's site:

members.dslextreme.com

There's also a ton of useful info on there.

The flywheel stays on. There is a seal retainer by the countershaft sprocket which needs to come off, plus one bolt just below and to the rear of the output shaft. The cases are glued together with a sealant; there's a pry point at the rear of the block.

It always takes less time to read first than to read up on what you should have done afterwards.

The other question is why did it seize up in the first place? It always seems to be the left rod which goes, for some reason. It is further from the oil pump, but the main gallery is huge and shouldn't favour one side over the other. There's no point in putting in another crank if the oil pump is worn or the relief valve is stuck, or some other malfunction in the lubrication system.
          '82 GS450T

Comment

well i have been prying away now for a while and i don't seem to be getting anywhere, thats just a matter of time i guess.

Now your right, why did it do that? there is no point in spending more money on a new crank if it just happens again. so the oil pump & relief valve need to be tested.
            Would you recommend finding a second hand crank and buying need bearings from suzuki?

Comment

There are also two 8mm Allen bolts in the back of the oil filter cavity. Did you get those?
              '82 GS450T

Comment

I found them and the cases came apart like a dream.
                You were right though, Through seizing up the conrod it has ruined my crankshaft. Im going to make a creative lamp or table out of it.
                Now i have another question but i am going to write another thread asking it. be great if you could help out.

Comment

Working...
                X