Smoked 450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked 450

1981 gs450l someone ran it lean for way to long. Needless to say pistons are smoked, the cylinder is still in spec but has a ridge top and bottom that would be hard to hone out. I was going to have it bored .5 over but I can't find os rings. Has anyone bored it to 74 mm and used 500cc pistons? Or is there another way? Or do I bite the bullet and get 500cc cylinders off eBay??

Sure, if you are ambitious, go the 500 route. I'd probably just look for another 450 motor
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

There is member on here selling a 450 motor but doesn't want to ship it if you're willing to make a road trip. I wanted him to ship it but I don't think he wants to deal with the hassle

Comment

500 cylinders and pistons are plentiful and cheap as dirt on eBay. It's an easy bolt on mod and adds about 10% to the displacement, which means a lot of torque. Get the cam chain tensioner from the 500 too.

Or I have a nice tight set of 450 cylinders and pistons I will sell.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I was looking to go the 500 pistons and cylinders myself soon. In the meantime I found 0.5 and 1.0 oversided rings. Good luck getting her back on the road whatever direction you decide to go.

http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...d68/crankshaft

Comment

Did you find the oversized pistons too?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Did you find the oversized pistons too?
              Your right. I did Not see that they where discontinued. I'm sorry if I got your hopes up. My fault.

Comment

Working...
              X