Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 1981 won't redline, missing 20hp

I just bought a gs450 from '81.
    I've done the service with oil, plugs and checked clearances. It starts and runs well with no strange sounds. However it feels like it lacks 20hp and after 7500rpm it feels like it won't go any higher up. I've watched some YouTube videos and my machine aren't near the acceleration times on those videos.

Engine is prepped with k&n pods (and the correct jets) I tried with a somewhat larger jet but it ran worse with that. Plugs are brown and looks replay nice.

One time I started it the timing chain tensioner was "spinning" as I've read some other has encountered. But it has not happened again. What would be your next step in finding the issue?

"One time I started it the timing chain tensioner was "spinning" as I've read some other has encountered. But it has not happened again. What would be your next step in finding the issue?"

this is a big red flag for me. Best to remove cam cover and check camshaft to crankshaft timing, cuz maybe it skipped abit. Probably now is also time to remove camchain tensioner to check that it's working correctly and has been installed correctly.

have a look here..

http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I checked timing, counted the pins aswell on the chain and got it to 18. This should be accurate according to the service manual. Thank you for this tip!

Starts to look like ignition issue to me.

Comment

Actually, I might have found it. One of the pins on the advance weights are broken of. So advance only works on 1 cylinder. Would this affect be as big as 15-20 hp on high end?

Comment

Originally posted by Thefidel View Post
          Actually, I might have found it. One of the pins on the advance weights are broken of. So advance only works on 1 cylinder. Would this affect be as big as 15-20 hp on high end?
          Easily.

(Think a minute what happens if the advance doesn't do it's job. Wikipedia also explains it well).
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Twenty horses on a 450 is a huge loss!

Comment

The bike makes it to 120km/h so there's not a lot of power. This is of course an estimation of the potential loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Thefidel View Post
                huh? "advance" works for both cylinders or not at all....but maybe you mean one weight is not working somehow...so I'd suppose there's not enough advance at high speed....or maybe you mean the pickup coils?

Yes, I know, you've put pods on and rejetted, but I thought I'd mention it anyways: You are aware these 400s were "detuned" when sold in Germany? , as they often show up online with specs stating a low hp...

Comment

You are correct, it is one of the weight where the hook has broken off. This would mean that advance isn't what it should be. The bike is registered as 31kw/42hp so there really should be a lot more punch than what I get from my mower

Comment

My 82 450 got dyno'd at 32HP... it was too rich on the main at the time but that won't have made a lot of difference, and that was when it was all stock... so -20HP is huge!

It definitely has more get up and go now with GS500 carbs and camshafts, but never been back on a dyno. My jetting "feels" better with the butt dyno but it's not perfect.

Missing one half of your advance weight will have a big impact as it probably won't be fully advancing... redline is at 9500 but real power doesn't come in until 5500 - 6000. In the twisties I'm regularly at 6000 - 8000 where it's fun, once you hit 9000+ she doesn't have any more to give and that's definitely shifting time.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I've ordered a used spare parts with both weights intact. I'm hoping this will be a big difference for how it feels. As it is now there's nothing more to give after 7500 rpm. I'll go through the carbs again and clean them properly.

Comment

Unfortunately the new weight didn't do any difference. I tore the carbs down and blew them clean with compressed air.
                        i took the time to sync the carbs aswell and it runs better at idle speed now.

However it still lacks power. I got a friend to take it for a test drive and we are unanimous about that there should be a lot more power. What else should I be looking at?

Comment

Few things I guess... have you checked compression? How about valve clearances, are they in spec? Remember if they need adjusting you will need to sync the carbs again. Have you checked the timing with a timing light? Bad coils will limit power also.

Probably a stupid question... is it definitely a 450? The capacity should be stamped on the cylinder block... 448cc from memory.
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

What about fuel supply from tank? It's not partially blocked or any thing is it?

Comment

There a nice flow of fuel from the tank. There's no bogging or misfiring. It runs really nice but just lacks the power and the abibilty to rev through the meter.

Im fairly certain this is a ignition issue by now. As the previous post indicates I need to check the timing with a lamp. It bothers me that the issue eludes me this way. I noticed that there was some wear on the timing advance distributor. So I suspect that this affect timing somehow, not sure how the pickups have been affected by this so I should order a new set of that plate aswell.

Comment

Working...
                              X