450s on the high way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450s on the high way?

How do they do on the slab, at like 75ish.. will they do 75? With a 215lbs rider?
    I build Pipers

They will do it, but the motor will be spinning pretty high. Top speed is likely in the 90-100mph range,depending on how big a drag chute the rider is.

I rode 400-450s long distances on the highway all the time back in the early '80s, but speed limits were lower then so cruising speed was more like 65-70mph.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Over here the speed limit on the highway is either 100 or 110kph and yep my 450 will do it all day, but I won't... she's at 6K RPM at those speeds which is spot on where she picks up and wants to party which is great in the twisties but tiring droning along like that for a while.

I had a 4 hour highway round trip to pick up the Kat gearbox the other week and it just wasn't all that enjoyable. If I had to spend a lot of time on the highway I'd be gearing up and coping with the loss of acceleration... or just get a more suitable bike.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

i was just wondering because i found a very clean one near me for pretty cheap. i frequent the highway for 50 mile runs all the time.
        I build Pipers

Comment

50 miles is probably doable. The trip I did was over 400kms...
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

One of my first bikes was a GS 450.Memory serves it was the second bike I ever owned. It will be screaming at 75mph. If my goal is a steady diet of highway .. I might look for a slightly larger engine. I think most people feel similar about my 750 but I found with the riding I do that its a good sized engine that does everything I want "really good" if not great. I ride hard pack gravel, highway and city streets. Its a great compromise.

At 215 lbs .. honestly I would pass. I had a modern Triumph Bonneville which is 2 cylinder between 700 and 750 cc and it was struggling on AZ highways where the average speed is 75. It would do it but I don't know who was more tired after a ride .. me or the bike.

Comment

Yeah, im gonna pass. Gonna hold out for another 1000
              I build Pipers

Comment

I'm a little late to the party here, but my '80 450E does 77mph wide open in 6th with me on it. Granted I'm 6'4 and a little north of 300.
                I don't take it out on the interstate at all. 2 lane highways and such are OK, but I need a bigger bike

Comment

I take mine on the highway all the time and do 150+ mile days. Thing cruises all day at 70 but doesn't have the pickup that my GS750 does if you want/need to pass somebody at that speed. You get whipped around by the wind a little more but it's part of the fun. I'm 6'1" and 165lbs. My only complain is getting speed wobbles when you hit the little divets in between lanes going 70mph+.
                  1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                    i was just wondering because i found a very clean one near me for pretty cheap. i frequent the highway for 50 mile runs all the time.
                    well, I'd buy it just being "clean and cheap". They are a cool bike.
                    but Freeway just a similar opinion to those above- you'll be a outclassed by the raging monsters surrounding you...you'll want to go 85 sooner or later to get around a semi quick and there, the narrow 18" tires and general lightness ...and you are a bit on the heavy side for the bike too so some behemoth will be snorting up your backside as soon as you pull into the passing lane... But try it . 50 miles is only 45 minutes or so. You could mod the stock bike and make it better for the job.
                    I've got the slightly different gsx400E and it's ok doing a 120kmh limit here (70mph) but I just trundle along in the right lane and avoid passing without a big window in the passing lane. And, I weigh less than you!
                    Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-30-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Its still for sale
                      I build Pipers

Comment

Get the 450 and wind it up...it wont hurt a thing. In fact at around 6000RPM is where shes gonna be at her best.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Some of it depends on the highway in your area. When I was still in NYC the speed limit was 55 and even with people doing 10 above its only 65mph. Traffic and horrible road surface usually kept things around 60.
                          I would be alright with a 450 there. I like the extra "get out of trouble" speed you can get out of a bigger engine but my first really road worthy bike was a Suzuki 450 and I used it for everything for about 2 years in NYC.

Here in AZ the speed suggestion is 65. It is normal for actual highway speed to be better than 75 but 72-75 is the minimum if you dont want someone up your butt. You see a bunch of people going much faster than that. AZ has new modern multilane highways so you can go fast. I dont feel safe on my 750 here and i would not venture on to our highways with a 450.

So look at your situation as it may be locale sensitive.

Comment

On the section of 95 i drive mostly, averages about 82ish depending on conditions that day. I alread have another 1000g which will do just fine, ill try to find the add and post it. Sweet little bike
                            I build Pipers

Comment

We just got 6 lane, really opens it up for sure!
                              I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                              X