No announcement yet.

Cold Start White Smoke and Engine Bogs Stutters Stalls when Starting from Stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Start White Smoke and Engine Bogs Stutters Stalls when Starting from Stop

Hi GS friends! I have two questions in one, not sure if they're related...

Recently my '81 450e started blowing some white smoke from the shifter side exhaust pipe when I first fire it up from a cold start. After the bike warms up it seems to go away. I park it in a garage in dry colorado, and have searched and found that many think this might just be condensation but I want to get more opinions. Which brings me to my second question...

The bike bogs down really bad when I'm pulling away from a stop, then all of a sudden gets its mojo back once I'm going ~5mph. I've heard this could be an issue with the pilot jets, but I cleaned the carbs out this summer and didn't have any issues for a while until now. Thoughts?

Pertinent info:
    Carbs & tank cleaned this summer
    Premium fuel only
    Stock intake, jets, exhaust
    Starts first try, every time (really!)
    Idles fine, and comes down to idle fine
    Bike does not seem to be burning oil
    Valve clearances adjusted ~2500 miles ago (3 yrs)
    Last edited by Guest; 11-15-2017, 11:13 PM.

Spark plugs, the one on the left in the pictures is the one on the shifter side of the bike
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2017, 01:25 AM.

Comment

I will just add my comments to your original post.

Pertinent info:
      Carbs & tank cleaned this summer
      When you "cleaned" the carbs, did you just spray out the jets or did you soak the bare bodies and replace ALL the o-rings?

Premium fuel only
      Ditch the "premium" fuel. Your bike will run much better on "regular" fuel. In your area, that is probably 85 or 86 octane.

Stock intake, jets, exhaust
      All good points.

Starts first try, every time (really!)
      As it should, no surprises there.

Idles fine, and comes down to idle fine
      By "comes down", you mean a nice, crisp, quick return to idle when you blip the throttle?

Bike does not seem to be burning oil
      That's good, but really has no bearing on your current problem.

Valve clearances adjusted ~2500 miles ago (3 yrs)
      Get ready to check them again, recommended interval is 3000 miles.

I did not see any mention of carb sync. If one carb is closed a bit too far, it will suddenly "get its mojo back" as it is opened up a bit off idle.

Cleaning the pilot jets was not a bad idea, but it's not usually the jets that cause the problems, it's the passages in the carb bodies between the jets.
      That is why it is important to soak the carbs, not just spray them off.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, Thanks for the insightful and fast response!

The carbs were soaked, synced, and re-o-ringed by a local shop that specializes in older/classic bikes. When the idle comes down it is crisp and quick, no bouncing or hanging (was doing this before I had them worked on).

Today the bike ran well on my way into work.
        What I did in the last two days: full fuel tank of 87 octane no ethanol, added an appropriate amount of SeaFoam to the new gas, drove it a little to get the new gas through the carbs, then let it sit for a day.

As for the smoking issue... it has not occurred in the last couple days. I've been parking the bike on the center stand at night, as someone suggested that the cold Colorado night air was probably condensing inside the hot exhaust and was "pooling" in the shifter side exhaust pipe when the bike is parked on the kickstand. I can't confirm this, but will put the bike on the kickstand tonight to see what happens. I probably won't ride it tomorrow as it's supposed to snow, but I'll fire it up to see what happens!

Comment

Working...
        X