I can't find the part numbers for the cylinder head cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't find the part numbers for the cylinder head cover

I have a Canadian 1981 GS400e (GSX400E) which is the same as the GS450 but with a scaled up engine from the GSX250. Partzilla does not have my specific bike in their catalog but I have been getting by since Suzuki seems to have used the same parts for many different models.
    The problem I am having now is that no bike in the 1981 year seems to share the same cylinder head cover so I can't be sure what gaskets to order and replace a missing bolt that was replaced with whatever the PO had on hand.

Any advice?

Generally speaking I use this site to find part numbers. They don't list a gs400ex but they do list a 450 and 250. My 82 450 has two different ones listed, hopefully the pictures can help you out.

Shop our large selection of Suzuki 1981 Motorcycle OEM Parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at (231)737-4542
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by Polish-Jack View Post
      I have a Canadian 1981 GS400e (GSX400E) which is the same as the GS450 but with a scaled up engine from the GSX250. Partzilla does not have my specific bike in their catalog but I have been getting by since Suzuki seems to have used the same parts for many different models.
      The problem I am having now is that no bike in the 1981 year seems to share the same cylinder head cover so I can't be sure what gaskets to order and replace a missing bolt that was replaced with whatever the PO had on hand.

Any advice?
      You can always make your own with gasket making material, a Sharpie, a good X-Acto knife and a single hole punch.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Not sure which model you have so there are links to gs450 and gsx450

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs400-1979-n-e01-e02-e04-e17-e18-e21-e22-e24-e25-e30-e34-e39_model13423/partslist/#.WvMCG9HTWhA

✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GSX400E 1981 (X) (E02 E04 E16 E22 E24 E26)

or just look here https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-motorcycle_model13053/
        Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 05-09-2018, 10:22 AM.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Any advice?
          Have you tried the local dealer - Valley Motorsport? They've been quick at getting gaskets for me and seem to be able to get most anything. I have a new OEM gasket that I'm not in need of if you're in a hurry, plus lots of cover bolts.

I usually look up the part number on cmsnl and that speed things up a the parts counter.
          '82 GS450T

Comment

Any advice?
            I'll ruffle through my stack of old microfiches this weekend, maybe I'll find something. Need to properly file them anyway...
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
              Not sure which model you have so there are links to gs450 and gsx450

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs400-1979-n-e01-e02-e04-e17-e18-e21-e22-e24-e25-e30-e34-e39_model13423/partslist/#.WvMCG9HTWhA

✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GSX400E 1981 (X) (E02 E04 E16 E22 E24 E26)

or just look here https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-motorcycle_model13053/
              Looks like the second link you posted is what I need. It never occurred to me to look up the bike in non-North American parts dealers. Thanks for this!

Originally posted by John Park View Post
              Have you tried the local dealer - Valley Motorsport? They've been quick at getting gaskets for me and seem to be able to get most anything. I have a new OEM gasket that I'm not in need of if you're in a hurry, plus lots of cover bolts.

I usually look up the part number on cmsnl and that speed things up a the parts counter.
              Now that I have the part number that I need from the CMS site I'm going to ask Valley Motorsport if Suzuki has stock. I am dreading taking off the valve cover as the PO sealed it with some sort of blue goop. It looks like the entire engine is using blue goop as a sealing material. Now, about that gasket, is it reusable / can it be 'reused' a few times / use once crush-type gasket?

Originally posted by roeme View Post
              I'll ruffle through my stack of old microfiches this weekend, maybe I'll find something. Need to properly file them anyway...
              Because of your comment I decided to quickly search eBay for a microfiche of my bike. I actually found a GS 400 (C / EC / N / EN) from 1981 in Australia. Bought it just a moment ago for $15 Canadian kopeks and change. I think I have a powerful enough glass here somewhere. If anything I'll frame it as a keepsake.

Comment

oh gee. B e care-ful. Australia got different bikes ! John park had the better idea= local Canadian dealer with suzuki part number*
                Or, make your own-(get the THICK paper from Cantire,Lordco Napa etc...)

* GSX valve cover CHANGED in 82 or 83-again,be careful. A local dealer can take it back if they give you non-matching part number or if they understand ththat partsbook replacements (old version superseded) can be wrong fit.

I'm pretty sure that in 80-82? Suzuki were selling a 400 very much like the 79 (2valve) in asia-pacific, Holland, parts of Scandinavia....and that is my concern.

finding proof is hard but I know people have shown up here with them...look closely here: https://www.bikepics.com/suzuki/gs400
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-16-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  oh gee. B e care-ful. Australia got different bikes ! John park had the better idea= local Canadian dealer with suzuki part number*
                  Or, make your own-(get the THICK paper from Cantire,Lordco Napa etc...)

* GSX valve cover CHANGED in 82 or 83-again,be careful. A local dealer can take it back if they give you non-matching part number or if they understand ththat partsbook replacements (old version superseded) can be wrong fit.

I'm pretty sure that in 80-82? Suzuki were selling a 400 very much like the 79 (2valve) in asia-pacific, Holland, parts of Scandinavia....and that is my concern.

finding proof is hard but I know people have shown up here with them...look closely here: https://www.bikepics.com/suzuki/gs400

Jack came by and picked up a spare gasket so all is well. I think the 83 on is the different one.

You MUST run a thick gasket because the tach drive is in the cover and the gasket controls the meshing of the gears; I think they put it up there because there wasn't enough room what with the rocker shaft.
                  '82 GS450T

Comment

You MUST run a thick gasket because the tach drive is in the cover and the gasket controls the meshing of the gears
                    Exactly so,on the GSX400. and I see from the forum, others too.
                    But the thick paper doesn't hurt for any does it? except being a little harder to cut. ... but it has been harder to find...Cantire and the rest usually just have the thin stuff lying around.

Comment

Working...
                    X