Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS450 timing chain tensioner set screw o-ring replacement

Hi All,

I have a 1981 GS450 that runs great, but oil is leaking from the timing chain tensioner set screw. Can I replace the 6mm o-ring without completely removing the tensioner assembly? I've reviewed bwringer's site on a complete rebuild, but my goal is to take care of the immediate oil leak and do a complete rebuild in the future. Any help, suggestions, tips, etc... would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Robert

The set screw is there to keep the plunger inside from falling out when the tensioner is removed and also to hold the mechanism in the preloaded position during installation.

There's no harm in removing it as long as you replace it before running the motor again; even then, all that would happen is a bigger oil leak.

It often appears that the oil is leaking from the set screw area when it has actually migrated from the usual leak location - the seal on the knob shaft.

I prefer using the Honda seal, part # 91259-VMO-000 instead of the Suzuki seal as it works better on old worn shafts, plus it's cheap and available and current. Apparently, you can remove the knob and spring and replace the shaft seal without removing the whole tensioner, but as yet I haven't tried it.
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Thank you so much for the in-depth response. I changed the o-ring and there is no more oil leak (knock on wood). Sometime down the road I'll do a complete rebuild of the tensioner assembly, but for the time being I'll run with it. Once again, thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X