Hard starting 450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard starting 450

My 450 got progressively hard to start over the summer. I checked out the plugs, caps, wires, etc. but all that stuff was relatively new and it ran perfectly after it got going. The clue was that the bike would sometimes fire just as the starter button was lifted, indicating low voltage to the ignition.

I thought of the starter draw perhaps being high; it's an oldie, but appeared acceptable inside a few years ago. One morning I was going for a ride with a friend and the thing just wouldn't go. I looked at the ignitor and tried giving the mounting screws a back up and tighten. Poof! - touch and go.

The ground lead goes to the mounting screw, and then the plate is grounded somewhere else. Moral of the story is that rusty bolts make poor connections. Single point ground and a headlight relay are the next projects, I guess. I do wonder how many ignitor failures were cured when the bolts got disturbed during installation of the new one. And how many 'failed' ignitors ended up in the bin at bike shops over the years.
    '82 GS450T

Good to hear that it was an electrical problem and it has been fixed.

I was getting ready to tell you that progressively-harder starting (especially when cold) is a symptom of tight valves and you need to do a valve adjustment.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 82 450t has never had that box touched, I'll have to put it on this list to clean those up when it comes off the road in a few weeks.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
        My 82 450t has never had that box touched, I'll have to put it on this list to clean those up when it comes off the road in a few weeks.
        I'd just find a direct route for that ground wire on the ignitor to a ground in the harness or wherever it doesn't have to use the bodywork for a wire.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

Yes,
          I will also check the ground connections.I know it's the first place to start when doing regular preventive maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
            Yes,
            I will also check the ground connections.I know it's the first place to start when doing regular preventive maintenance.
            Good to see you back! Perhaps you could give us an update on your 450 since completing your adventure earlier this year. Over 7k miles for me, just added a windshield/fairing on mine.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

My alt./stator is burn't and I need to do a little more work on it,regular stuff.I've been riding my bicycle lately to get in shape so not on the GS450 just yet,but that's coming up next.Don't want to threadjack.

Comment

Working...
              X