Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS 300 continually stripping starter motor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 300 continually stripping starter motor??

Hi all, I own a 1983 Suzuki GS300L. The person I bought it from seems to have rode it for 35+ years with no issues, but alas.

I rode it daily for about two months, but go to warm it up one morning and it revs high, spits out a ton of white smoke and began to leak gas. Turned it off immediately and let it sit. Started it the next day with a lot of engine noise, so I took it in. It was diagnosed as a faulty starter motor. Mechanic replaced the reduction gear, sprag clutch assy, stator cover gasket and starter motor.

Got it home after over two months in the shop and rode it just once. Went to start it last week and it sounded like a bag of aluminum cans falling down a flight of stairs and it was a total no start; also noticed a small amount of leaking gas. Took it back for warrantied work and was told it was the teeth of the starter motor totally worn down AGAIN.

Mechanic is *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed and says it's not his fault, must be a defect of the bike, but I feel like I'm getting taken for a ride here. He will warranty his work but is telling me that this must be a GS300 issue that will continue happening.

Have you guys ever heard of anything like this? Any help?

Originally posted by scarebear View Post
    Mechanic is *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed and says it's not his fault...

Have you guys ever heard of anything like this? Any help?
    Unfortunately, I think we all have.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

So it sounds like I'm getting ripped off, here? Any ideas on what it might actually be?

I did see the starter motor myself the first time it went bad and to be fair, the teeth were pretty chewed up.

Comment

The first issue, increased revs, smoke and leaking fuel, could point to a problem with the fuel cock and or carburettor float valves.
        Where was the fuel leaking from? If fuel is leaking and gets into the sump you will notice a marked increase in the oil level.
        Has anyone eliminated the possibility that the starter solenoid is sticking on. That will make a lot of weird noise and generally ends badly for the starter.
        At least he is accepting he screwed up but a latent defect in the GS300 is a new one on me.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Not sure it will even fit but there are two gear teeth counts on GS starters. IF it fitted, there's the possibility the wrong one was fitted.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Assuming starter solenoid didn’t lock “on”.. I’d suspect the starter clutch assembly was done wrong and locked up after/ during your first ride…this would cause starter motor to be dragged around rather than being released.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Assuming starter solenoid didn’t lock “on”.. I’d suspect the starter clutch assembly was done wrong and locked up after/ during your first ride…this would cause starter motor to be dragged around rather than being released.
              That makes a lot of sense! Especially since I only rode it the one time... it stalls/shuts off pretty regularly in the winter (usually can fix it with a carb adjustment/idling to warm up for a few minutes) so I had to start it at a few stoplights during my ride. Makes sense that the teeth would be chewed to bits if it was dragging each time I started it on the ride.

Comment

Would this be similar to the comment below yours? The wrong teeth were fitted and just stripped out the starter?

Comment

Working...
                X