1980 GS1000G Clutch Cover Oil Seal leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G Clutch Cover Oil Seal leaking

Does anyone have a solution for this? i didn't see any part #'s displayed in any of the OEM Fiches.

It is the oil seal that seals the clutch spindle/gear that comes out of the top of the cover that the arm/cable attaches to
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

On the Clutch page, pt no 28
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I just replaced one in my 82 Katana 1000, pain in the butt to get the old one out without damaging the cover. I managed to get it done with no damage.

Comment

thank you for the reply! Perfect

I supposed you got the old one out with a bit of heat and prying?
        Originally posted by tkent02
        That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
        John 3:16

Comment

I didn't need heat when I did the 850, just patience.
          The old seal was 9mm deep iirc and that was not available locally so I put in a shallower one 12x22x7 or 6 and it works fine.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I attempted to tap a small screw into the seal and pull it out. Seal came apart so to speak and I ended up prying the rest up and out with a small screwdriver being careful not to damage the seal mating surfaces or shaft. Wasn't pretty but mission complete. Mine was 40 years old and dry rotten.

Comment

I just ordered a double lip seal for $7.00 on Ebay. Since I wanted to polish the cover I used a drift to push the seal/bearing and shaft all at once. Did a good cleaning on everything. Polished the cover.Installed the original bearing and now waiting on the seal. You could just tap on the shaft to remove the seal and then push the bearing back down until you get the seal. Seat the bearing until you have just enough free play on the shaft so the shaft does not bind .

Comment

Working...
              X