Limited range of crankshaft movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited range of crankshaft movement

I'm trying to put the cylinder bank back on. So I set it atop the two center pistons, which are set the highest. It pushes them down and brings all the others to the same level, and comes to rest. Now I only have limited range of movement when I manually turn the crankshaft. I thought it might have been the timing chain bunched up inside, but that seems ok. It didn't slip into gear. It spun freely before this. After moving it back and forth, it spun a little more, backwards. I know, engines don't like to go backwards.

This is on a 1980 550E.
    Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 04-02-2022, 01:44 PM.
    1980 GS550E

It’s difficult enough to manage squeezing the rings to get the pistons started into the bores. If you haven’t already, run the chain up through the tunnel and either have another pair of hands hold it loosely above the cylinders or loosely wire it something above to make sure it isn’t binding down at the crankshaft sprocket so that you can turn the crank back and forth as needed. I thinks it’s ok to run it backwards a bit since everything is loose, no camshafts nor tensioner to worry about. I had to spin mine back and forth a bit before I got all cylinders’ rings into the bores.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You might need some blocks of wood under 2-3 so they stay put and don't fall back down. I just put my cylinder back on and I used 1 X 3 wood blocks with a tunnel cut out of the center to go under the pistons and prevent them from falling.

Hope this helps.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

With all four top piston rings sat up against the bottom of the liners you are at mid stroke so the crank won't rotate either way without lifting the barrel.
        When not using ring compressors you can easily fit the rings using just your fingers and a small pick or screwdriver once you get the knack.
        Set the barrel slightly high on number 1 piston and work the opposite number 4 top ring into the liner.
        Work your way down next feeding 3's and then 2's top rings in and when you get to 1 you will be able to feed in 4's second ring in and so on.
        I've been doing it like this for years and it only takes 10 or 15 mins .
        Last edited by zed1015; 04-02-2022, 03:44 PM.
        Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
        VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

What can I do to restore movement to the crankshaft? I've set the cylinder bank aside, and it still acts like it's locking up, even when holding the chain out as far as it will go.
          1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
            What can I do to restore movement to the crankshaft? I've set the cylinder bank aside, and it still acts like it's locking up, even when holding the chain out as far as it will go.
            The chain may have slipped off and jammed to the side the crank sprocket or bunched on it.
            Rocking the crank whilst firmly pulling on it may free it if that is the problem.
            Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
            VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X