GS1000 weekend racer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 weekend racer...

I've been building a GS for a couple of years. Don't ask, you won't like my answer... )-:

I believe the engine is a late 78 early 79 model. I purchased the engine off of a garage floor. Stuffed it in a frame, added a good set of carbs and it runs well. I didn't note any transmission/clutch basket noise or rattle at all and I've ridden it around. Bike is completely pulled apart to finish frame mods and then once those are done and my health holds out, I'm going to get it ready for next years race season. Bracket racing and maybe some speed runs.

However, I've come across a situation that I've searched until my eyes crossed and I wet my pants. But for the life of me, any type of performance clutch basket cannot be found.
    The rivet/spring kit is still available but no basket. I've even searched here and other sites, the www and Google'd until it was time to punch out and go home.

Did I miss something somewhere or am I $hit out of luck?
    I've seen some scarce info about fitting an 1150et basket to the 1000 hub with machine work but nothing concrete.
    I'm not made of money but willing to build a solid clutch for what I want to do. And for the bike I'm building, I'm going to need a stout unit.

FTW: I've reached out to APE and they have nothing for the GS1000 and know of nothing.

Please advise,
    Thank You
    Current:
    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
    1998 Chevy C2500
    1999 Rav4

Get the springs and rivets, do the existing basket, use till it has to be done again.
    It's worth sourcing a spare complete basket and taking it with you to the races along with the tools needed for a trackside replacement.

Comment

After looking into everything today. This was my only conclusion. Run it till it breaks then do it all over again.
      If anyone reading this has a line on anything heavy duty, reach out to me.

Thanks Greg and all that stop to read.
      Current:
      1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
      1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
      1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
      1998 Chevy C2500
      1999 Rav4

Comment

You'll hear when it's time to do it again. They get very noisy at idle.

Comment

Working...
        X