Oil leak possibilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak possibilities?

I have noticed there has been a grime buildup here as I have been riding. I suspect an oil or fluid leak, what common things can I check based off of location. B4B058AE-D60E-41C1-9A2C-1124C5F1AAC3.jpg

Check tightness of the cam cover bolts.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If torque of those bolts is correct, clean it, run it and look at it. Suspect are the half moons of f and the valve cover gasket. Easy and if so, check and adjust the valves when in there. Bad would be head gaskets if the latter, you'll need seals and a base cover gasket and much more time.

Comment

Is it possible to replace the head and base gaskets without removing the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Supercub View Post
          Is it possible to replace the head and base gaskets without removing the engine?
          Supercub, please start your own thread in this sub forum with your question, rather than jacking someone else’s thread. Please include the year and exact model of your bike. Generally, the answer to your question is yes, you can remove the head and cylinders with the engine still in the frame. Others with more experience will tell you if it’s easier to do that in frame, or with the engine on a workbench. I’ve only done it with the engine on a workbench.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I'm not jacking the thread, Im just engaging in the conversation. Dont be so uptight.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. You’re welcome.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
              X