Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure

Hi everyone.
    I'm trying to figure out why I am losing oil pressure when My 81 gsx 400 f heat's up
    . I rebuilt the engine a couple of years ago and did everything as the manual stated . I even went up an oil grade from 10w-40 to 20-50 . It's better but the pressure is still low. Could the engine be over heating and causing an issue with the oil . Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    John
    Sydney Australia

How are you measuring the oil pressure?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

At the front of the oil filter cover where the nut is .

Comment

GS motors are low pressure. What is the pressure you're seeing?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

12 psi / 82 kPa when it should be above 250 kPa .

Comment

The four-cylinder GSX400F was notorious for wrecking crankshafts because of oil pump failure and bearing wear.
            I swapped a GS550 lump into one because of that.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I put a new oil pump in when I rebuilt the engine. I might drop the sump cover and have a look to see there is a bearing has let loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                GS motors are low pressure. What is the pressure you're seeing?
                The GS motors with roller bearing bottom ends are low pressure. They don't NEED pressure, just flow.
                The GS (x) motors with "shell" bottom end need the same oil pressure as any "shell" bottom end.
                You WANT 30psi at idle, and it should increase 10psi per 1000rpm, to a max of around 80psi.

Comment

The plain bearing 2nd gen 750 engine had oil pressure issues which wiped out heads and cranks. The fix was to shim the oil pressure relief spring. It wouldn't hurt to try on your bike to see what happens.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    The plain bearing 2nd gen 750 engine had oil pressure issues which wiped out heads and cranks. The fix was to shim the oil pressure relief spring. It wouldn't hurt to try on your bike to see what happens.
                    Good point, it might be possible to forestall any further damage, but if the running (hot) pressure has dropped off so much it's just buying time until rebuild.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have parked the bike and have decided to pull the engine apart to investigate what the issue is. Going from that I may do a bottom end rebuild or a complete rebuild. Thanks again,.
                      john
                      Sydney Australia

Comment

Hi everyone
                        on Sunday I pulled out the engine and after removing the head and barrels I found the problem. Number 2 conrod has a lot of play in it . Something has happened to the bearing causing the low oil pressure. Probably me not checking everything twice or three times before installing. So now a full lower end rebuild.

Comment

If it's done no 2 rod bearing, check the shaft for round - must be less than .0005in out of round - and it's worth getting it crack tested too.

Comment

Thanks you Greg t . Mate if the crank is out of roundness can it be machined or try to get another one to replace it.

Comment

Once upon a time Suzuki offered undersize shells for the first gen plain bearing 750. The only model they ever did this for. If it is out of round it might be worth scouring the internet for NOS undersize bearings. From memory rod shells came only in .010 and .015in undersizes. Mains went down to .020in undersize.
                              No idea of your chances of finding any now.
                              In Oz, an outfit in Queensland used to offer a shaft grinding service - and they'd sourced shells from somewhere too. Not just for Suzukis, they reckoned they could do anything.
                              Might have been Serco.

Comment

Working...
                              X