are the motors painted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are the motors painted?

do they paint the gs650 crankcases and possibly other covers? whats the best way to approach removing it? im sure i could brush it away if i want to work on the same area for 30 minutes but it seems a bit unnecessary to do that lol, the case is just such a more complex shape than the outside cases so i cant simply use a wire wheel for it.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

I don’t know about the engine cases but I think the case covers have a sealant on them. You can tell when that sealant is there because when it gets old it starts to look kind of like yellowish or whiteish shellac that wants to peel off. A sisal wheel with black rubbing compound will take that stuff off and start you on your way to many hours of sanding, buffing, and polishing.I’m personally tired of all that hard work and have decided to chrome my covers instead in the future. It’s expensive but all that polishing is really time consuming.

Comment

I am no enemy of chrome on a motorcycle. But say you had a bike that ran too hot (like my 11E before the oil cooler). Wouldn't chroming the engine exacerbate the problem, even if only by a few degrees?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'd think the opposite. Black should absorb and hold heat while chrome should reflect and dissipate heat, but by a very minimal amount.. Just my opinion... Ooh, sorry Rob your 1100 didn't have a black eng.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Actually it does. Maybe you can see my avatar - it's an 82 painted to look like an 83 (red). Of course painting the engine black doesn't weld the crank. Every time I approached red line, I'd think, "twist my wrist, or twist my crank?"
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yep, me confused again. Your picture shows "83" & sig. says "82", maybe I have the right to be confused... I'm thinking Suzuki started welding the 1100 E cranks in mid "82". Anybody have a clue appx. what month in "82"? Possibly yours is already welded.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              I'd think the opposite. Black should absorb and hold heat while chrome should reflect and dissipate heat, but by a very minimal amount.. Just my opinion... Ooh, sorry Rob your 1100 didn't have a black eng.
              Chrome does reflect heat. In this case the heat comes from the inside, tries to get out, but gets reflected partly back inside.
              And not by a small amount ...

Good read : https://www.bestheating.com/info/why...r-heat-output/
              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Rijko, an interesting read. most made perfect sense, while part not so much... Thanks

Comment

You can Gun Coat an engine, and that will remove heat %15 more than bare aluminum. I was camped next to Team Suzuki for a week, they told me a lot of things. I used "Kal-Guard Gun Kote" on my motorcycle cases. My engine was apart. This is important as they cases have to be preheated to 220d degrees before applied. Also, you must use a cleaner to remove all contaminants from the aluminum. The only thing I could find was a product called "Spray On" circuit board cleaner. That worked perfectly. Nice thing about the Kal Gard Gun Coat is that if an area needs touch up, you just get the engine hot, and spray on a coating.

The engine cases are painted. To reproduce the Silver coating Honda has on their engines, I used High Temperature Aluminum Spray paint. To bring the brightness down, I then clear coated the surfaces. The components looks like stock Honda parts. Chrome holds in engine heat which is why you don't see people doing it on Harley's much because, aside from other issues, they really made those engines overheat.

Comment

My cases are painted silver and side covers are clear coated. I have beadblasted 2 of the covers so far and sprayed them with fixative to seal them. They look great and the fixative lasts a long time based on prior use. The top of my case has some flaking paint. I may retouch these areas At some point. I have used brush-on silver metallic paint, I believe it is Krylon, found in small glass bottles at hardware stores for repainting cleaned up fastener heads and other small parts. It dries fast and even and holds up to gas, heat and tools. Just degrease and lightly abrade, brush on with a fine brush.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                      You can Gun Coat an engine, and that will remove heat %15 more than bare aluminum. I was camped next to Team Suzuki for a week, they told me a lot of things. I used "Kal-Guard Gun Kote"
                      You're in good company, Pop Yoshimura liked to use that too (on the GS1000 engines for instance)
                      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Pops and Kaz, brains of the Japanese motorcycle industry. Some people think they are the same people!!

Comment

I am sure that coatings of any kind, chrome, powder coat, etc. will probably trap more heat than no coating. But I’ve chromed and powder coated a lot of cylinders and case covers on several motorcycles with no problem. I also have a 2019 Harley that is totally powder coated and chromed from the factory and it runs fine. As with any air cooled engine, just keep moving and I think you’ll be fine.

Comment

That's not actually true. Sme coatings to aid in dissipation of heat. There were parts of some of the Sikorsky Helicopters which did this, but they were proprietary. The transmission housing of the Blackhawk and CH53 series helicopters comes to mind. Kal-Guard Gun Cote is proven to help dissipate heat. Up to 15 degrees when at top end, or extreme heat situations.

Comment

Working...
                            X