Intake port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake port

Howdy, thank you all for the information shared on this forum! Ive been diving in for a few days... New to me 1980 GS1100 with Vetter sidecar 24k miles, sitting since 05. I am in process of rebuilding the carbs, it did start, but did not run well. With the crabs off looking into the port it looks pretty dirty, pic attached. Any way to clean this without disassembly or should I not worry about it?
    Thanks again!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    1980 GS1100E, 2009 Roadking, 2000 Motoguzzi Jackel, 2002 Suzuki DRZ, Panhead in pieces...

ASSUMING the valve stem seals are ok and you're not planning a top-end teardown, dose your gasoline with Techron. It's one of the very few fuel additives that actually works and does what it claims. Within a few thousand miles that crud will be gone.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks Dave,
      Valve stem seals would be in order for a motor to be setting this long? Other seals too then...
      1980 GS1100E, 2009 Roadking, 2000 Motoguzzi Jackel, 2002 Suzuki DRZ, Panhead in pieces...

Comment

I don't mean to distract from your question, but let's see some pictures of the bike and that side car!
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Hey Danger, you won't know about the (any) seals till you get everything going. Couldn't say anything needs replaced till you know.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
            I don't mean to distract from your question, but let's see some pictures of the bike and that side car!

Comment

Just wondering if the carbon build up is common...

Side note tip or trick, I had to easy out a pilot screw and wanted to chase the threads. I didn't have the right tap so I made one out of the pilot screw that was in good shape. Can't cut threads but it will clean them up...
              Last edited by Danger; 10-12-2022, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger View Post
                Thanks Dave,
                Valve stem seals would be in order for a motor to be setting this long? Other seals too then...
                Normally, at 24K they would be ok, but time takes its toll on them too.
                As said by rphillips, you won't know until you get it going and under some normal running conditions.
                Might be fine, but might need more attention. The other seals are generally quite long-lived on these engines.
                What kills a lot of seals (general observation garnered from a wide variety of machinery) is sitting for long periods when the knife-edge of the seal micro-bonds to the shaft and tears on initial dry start-up. There's nothing much you can do about that.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X