GS1100G Drain Plug Washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G Drain Plug Washer

I changed my oil on my GS and I didnt see a washer under the plug. The plug is electro plated yellow in color and has a shiny steel washer like feature stuck onto the plug. It looks like two thin layers of steel. I couldnt get it off using a utility knife or putty knife. Is the shiny steel feature a non removable sealing washer, or is mine just stuck in place from being compressed?

Yours is just stuck. I have, on occasion had to carefully use a dremel with a cut-off wheel to get the old crush washer off the bolt. These washer/gaskets are single-use.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yes, single use...according to the service manual. That said, I reuse those things at least half a dozen times and have never had a leak.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It hasn't leaked overnight, but next change I will see if I can remove it and replace it. I could put it in a collet on a lathe and cut it down enough to pull it out.

Comment

Wondering, Does anyone replace them at every oil change? I never replace them till I see a leak, which is almost never.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

For the pennies that they cost, I see no reason not to.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I measured the bolt and bought a big box of them off fleabay or the jungle site. I don't have the size handy, but it's a very common size meaning a lifetime supply to have on-hand is pretty cheap.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Naw, Nothing to do with cost, just never saw a need.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Wondering, Does anyone replace them at every oil change? I never replace them till I see a leak, which is almost never.
                  I only replace them if I have several spare ones to hand. Many times I've re-used the old one and never had a problem.
                  However, I noticed a couple of times it took very little hand pressure to loosen the drain plug, so I've been pro-active by putting a smear of sealant on the drain plug threads.
                  I could always wire it, but that's a pita.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X