1982 GS1100G Tach Gear Seal Holder Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100G Tach Gear Seal Holder Removal

Can anyone tell me how to remove the tach seal holder from the head? It will turn but not pull out. I removed the screw and retainer tab. Screenshot_20221109-191022_Gallery.jpg

Pull harder. I’ve had to use a channel lock pliers with a soft cloth in the teeth so as not to gouge the soft aluminum. Twist back and forth and pull straight forward. A little PB blaster could help. Try not to pry with a flathead screwdriver, but if you do, at least wrap the tip in duct tape first.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-09-2022, 09:29 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I will try your suggestions. It must be held pretty good by the oring. I can pull it out a little bit it creeps back in.

Comment

I got it out, it took alot of pulling with channel locks and a few doses of pb blaster.

Comment

Excellent!. Glad you got it out.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Replaced the leaky driver seals, torqued the head, replaced 2 valve shims on tight intake valves. Got it plated, ready to ride!

Comment

I struggled with one of those for like 3 days, except the threaded collar was broken off from the stem in the head. I had ordered a new gear and holder and even then, that thing was a complete b*stard what with having almost nothing to grip and being in an awkward place. So yeah, I feel ya.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I think it came down to twisting out to follow the slight twist of the gear teeth on the shaft. No leaks now. Off subject but I didnt know I have self cancelling turn signals until I was just browsing thru the service manual.

Comment

Working...
                X