Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81' GS750E Clutch Ring Stopper Necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81' GS750E Clutch Ring Stopper Necessary?

Hello!

Working on my 750's clutch and I'm changing the friction plates. On this model, an 81', there's this thin wire that acts like a gasket or stopper that holds the last friction plate in place up against these other two washers. I want to know if it's entirely necessary to have to replace that as well? The original got bent out of shape taking it out and I figured the grab plate would hold everything in place anyway. See below. Thank you in advance!

wire by Adam Ridley, on Flickr
    -"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

1981 GS750E "Jezebel II" *Current
    2008 Ninja 650R "Jezebel I" *Ongoing

I've wondered about that little wire for 40 yrs. never saw exactly what it supposed to do. But never put one back together without it being on there. Hoping someone will explain.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Firstly, it helps greatly with reassembly, and keeps the plates from going cockeyed, which could in theory lock the clutch open. I wouldn't leave it out, that's for sure. I just did the clutch about 2 months ago on my '83 GS750ES, and the same spring is there, and I did notice that it keeps the plates and pads within a range of togetherness. Maybe it's so they don't get lonely, but realistically, why would someone question something like that unless they lost theirs, or the one they have has no spring in in it. In which case, you would get another one,right?

Comment

The reason I'd wondered was because I couldn't understand what it's function was supposed to accomplish. Without this wire, the complete clutch pack would slide in against "the flat surface of the clutch sleeve", with this wire the clutch pack, with the one less plate that is already held in with the wire, slides in exactly the same way but rests against "the flat surface of this plate", instead of against the clutch sleeve . If that one plate needs that wire to keep it from getting cocked, what keeps the rest of the plates from getting cocked, they're the exact same plates sliding in the exact same grooves. Hoping for something that seems a little more reasonable, as I still don't understand what it accomplishes. But, I wouldn't put it together without it, as there may be something important that I'm just not seeing.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The manual refers to part 17 above as a spring, and the parts book as a wave washer. So it likely that the driven plate captured by the wire clip, the "spring" and the washer/shim behind it act as a cushion assembly during clutch engagement/disengagement. I'm guessing that it may smooth the engagement point and make the clutch less grabby when slow speed maneuvering.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
          ​​
          Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

some geezers on here report no negative impact as a result of not using it. Rapidoray for one.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I wouldn't think it's acting on the one plate, by keeping that one plate in place, all the others are held in their respective places. I really do think it so that if you take out the clutch basket, they all don't fall out by accident. The way it sits in there, that seems like the only thing it would do, and keep the clutches within a determined space. I've always just stuck them back there, but never tried to analyze their exact function.

Comment

Mine has been gone for a good number of years. No ptoblems. I asked the question then, and as noted Rapidray said no need for it.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Is the wire clip is part of this assembly. Why did Suzuki use this? Other clutch packs don't have this.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
                  ​​
                  Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

That Clip prevents a little more bite when taking off. Something very useful on slippery, or wet roads. It does serve a purpose. If removed, you clutch will just (bite) grab a little harder, and you won't suffer for it, but in one of those conditions where it rained on a hot day for 3 minutes, enough to mix with water with the oil, it might give you a more manageable take off.

Comment

Automatic car trannies use wave washers as well.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Still hard to imagine the function. The little wire holds that 1 plate against the wave washers, not tight at all just kind'f touching. Without that wire that plate would be pushed against the wave washer, as soon as you started to engage the clutch by the clutch springs. Still can't imagine the difference if that 1 plate is sort'f touching the wave washer ahead of time, it won't have any pressure on it till the clutch springs press against it, just like with no little wire... I guess I shouldn't care, but always interests me to know how and why things work.

Comment

It might do with Hydraulic pressure, for the 1 second it would take to remove the oil, the tranny doesn't grab. Just an idea

Comment

Checking back in here after reading all the responses. Thank you very much for all the input! I ended up ordering a new one to put back in. But I'm still puzzled as to what it really does. I typically don't like to leave things unfinished so instinct said to buy a new one for peace of mind. And I have high anxiety lol...

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post

Is the wire clip is part of this assembly. Why did Suzuki use this? Other clutch packs don't have this.
                              Wow thanks! Where did you find this diagram? This is actually helpful for the rings installation.

Comment

Working...
                              X