Strange discovery adjusting valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange discovery adjusting valves

I took the tank off of my ‘81 GS750 to do a valve adjustment this evening and saw something odd. This is still a new bike for me so I’m still discovering all its hidden secrets. This is the first time I’m adjusting the valves on this bike.

Upon removing the tank I noticed a metal tab on one of the coil mounting bolts that had a jagged edge on it. The throttle cable has clearly been rubbing it and has worn through the sheath. So, I need a new cable. But what is this tab supposed to be? Was it meant to be a clamp or guide for the throttle cable? Maybe it just broke off? I removed it but I’m curious what it’s function was.

Also while removing the tank I found a half moon shaped rubber piece that fell on the shop floor. It looks like it must be meant to cover the frame tube and be a pad that the tank rests on. But is there supposed to be more than one?

I also found the outer cover on one of the ignition coil wires seems to have separated from the coil a bit. I don’t think it’s a problem but wanted to solicit opinions on that.

Thanks.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Sorry apparently you can only have one picture per post. Here’s the half moon rubber piece.

Comment

And here’s the coil wire.

Comment

The tag that has rubbed the throttle cable should be longer and have a plastic coating. The rubber half moon looks aftermarket, are all original mount rubbers present?. The coil lead is the outer sheath and if the lead under it is sound I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe the tank was rattling and previous owner added that rubber ring.
        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Thank you. So is that tag supposed to be a guide for the throttle cable to slide back and forth in? It seems like it might not be necessary.

Comment

Yes just a guide, one of my bikes has it missing. I used a zip tie loosely fitted.
            My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

The half moon rubber fell out of the head at the end of the cam when you pulled the valve cover. You will see the other three at the cam ends. They seal the blank space when put the cover back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Supercub View Post
                The half moon rubber fell out of the head at the end of the cam when you pulled the valve cover. You will see the other three at the cam ends. They seal the blank space when put the cover back on.
                No, That's not the half-moon to which the OP is referring. The valve cover has not been removed. C-Shaped would be a better descriptor than half-moon. See pic in post # 2. It's a rubber pad that protects the tank from hitting the frame. Not sure if OEM or not. My bike doesn't have them. Recommend the OP check a parts fiche on a site like partshark.com. I can't claim to have ever seen those before.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Ok well it cant be that.

Comment

Yep, fuel tank cushion, found on fische for GS750 and 1100 EX
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Rphillips, curious which fiche page/sub-assembly you found the cushion.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Right, I have the half moon pieces that go in the cylinder head. C-shaped is a better description. In any case, it’s clearly not a critical part.

Comment

On the fiche page for the 750 and 1100 "EX" ( not on the ET) "fuel tank", not on the frame fiche
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Ah, there it it. Fiche shows only one, and only on the '81 (x) Model. Anyway, Mystery solved.

Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

So where is it supposed to go? Up near the steering head or down towards the seat?

Comment

Working...
                              X