Testing the starter clutch assembly??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing the starter clutch assembly??

Hi i installed my starter clutch/Rotor today following a picture on how the copper washer,2 bearings etc should go on the crank from a clymers manual. For some reason i was having trouble about the first part that you must fit the copper washer it was saying.. <<install washer with chamfered part facing the crank bearing>> now i am having second thoughts on how i put it. Only thing i remember is that i put that washer with its RAISED parts facing outwards seemed more logical to me at the time. It has some ridges at one side. Also red-loctited the bolt. Any way to test the fuction of the mechanism??? No starter motor installed no power in general on the engine still assembling parts slowly
    Last edited by Kara25; 02-23-2023, 11:13 AM.
    GS674 Hybrid -1965 Vespa 90 -1958 BMW R26

Ok messed with it a little bit and saw that the big gear behind the rotor freespins clockwise but when turned counterclockwise engages the crank with its rotation and moves it along. The real question i assume is what happens when you install the copper washer backwards at the begining of the assembly. What does this washer do? Any way to check signs of reverse position of this washer with everything torqued down??

Comment

The copper washer has 4 indentations on one side. That side should face out from the crank bearing.

I've always assumed that the indentations supplied oil to the bearings of the starter gear.

Also, get a factory service manual from Basscliffs site
      Last edited by Big T; 02-23-2023, 04:17 PM.
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Big T i also have the factory service manual downloaded i am checking both of them thing is i cant remember 100% which side i put it on and checking to see if there is any way to determine if it was put wrong now that everything is loctited i dont want to tear the assembly down again..

Comment

The orientation of the washer has an affect on lubrication of the starter/clutch assembly.
          I have always made sure it is fitted the correct way as per the FSM, but i am unsure as to what harm it would do if it was fitted incorrectly.
          You are clearly unsure, and concerned as to whether you have fitted it correctly, so the only option is to pull it apart now, while it is easily accessible on the bench, or you will always have that worry/doubt hanging over you.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Agemax yeap unfortunatelly i will have to take it apart. Any tips?? The bottom end is bolted on the frame. Read some tips about putting bike in gear and jamming a piece of wood on the rear mag wheel??

Comment

Originally posted by Kara25 View Post
              Agemax yeap unfortunatelly i will have to take it apart. Any tips?? The bottom end is bolted on the frame. Read some tips about putting bike in gear and jamming a piece of wood on the rear mag wheel??
              I use a battery impact gun to remove the center bolt and the correct puller to pull the flywheel off.
              If you dont have an impact gun, usually a spanner on the center bolt and a good sharp whack with a heavy hammer will break it loose enough to remove it.
              Plenty of other options available if you search the forums.
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

But how i keep the whole assembly from moving? Thats the whole trick i think

Comment

Got it off and reasembled. Sure enough the chamfered side was looking away from the bearing. Used my bmw single front whell axle bolt as a slide hammer to remove rotor i was lucky.

Comment

Working...
                  X