1981 GS1100E cam timing set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1100E cam timing set up

Ok I had a bike shop install my new cam timing chain and gave him the manual. New chain is in. Should have done it my self. I put the timing mark on the T, number 4 cyclinder is at top, but the 2 and 3 marks on both cams are not in right place according to manual and cam notches are facing up. All out of time. When setting the valve clearances I understand they point either out or in. Some I am going to have remove the cams and fix this myself. Question is.......In the manual it says to install the exhaust cam first with the notch end positioned on the right side of the engine, ....marks 2 and 3 20 pins etc. I get that. Then later it states when installing the intake camshaft it also says make sure the notch in end of camshaft is on the right side of engine. What does that mean ? Are they stating this just so the cams are not set backwards. I thought they must point either out or in... Another statement in manual.....Rotate crankshaft until T lines up for cylinders no. 1 and 4, aligns with the pointer on the engine. This positions 1 and 4 pistons at TDC. Pointer on the engine ? I can stick a wire in the cylinder and verify 1 and 4 are up. I just need a little clarification before I start. Or just get the cams set with marks 2 and 3 in the proper positon, Mark T lined up to line and as long as 1 and 4 are at the top will I will be good.Thanks.

Check page 7-18 in the factory Suzuki manual for the proper cam positions when the engine is at 1-4 T (TDC). Focus getting the 1 mark on the exhaust cam pointing at the gasket surface, that will put the notch facing rearward. Then count pins, and install the intake cam. If everything is all wonked up regarding the marks and notches, make sure you aren't installing the intake cam in the exhaust spot, and also make sure nobody misinstalled the cam sprockets.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by alhntr View Post
      Ok I had a bike shop install my new cam timing chain and gave him the manual. New chain is in. Should have done it my self. I put the timing mark on the T, number 4 cyclinder is at top, but the 2 and 3 marks on both cams are not in right place according to manual and cam notches are facing up. All out of time. When setting the valve clearances I understand they point either out or in. Some I am going to have remove the cams and fix this myself. Question is.......In the manual it says to install the exhaust cam first with the notch end positioned on the right side of the engine, ....marks 2 and 3 20 pins etc. I get that. Then later it states when installing the intake camshaft it also says make sure the notch in end of camshaft is on the right side of engine. What does that mean ? Are they stating this just so the cams are not set backwards. I thought they must point either out or in... Another statement in manual.....Rotate crankshaft until T lines up for cylinders no. 1 and 4, aligns with the pointer on the engine. This positions 1 and 4 pistons at TDC. Pointer on the engine ? I can stick a wire in the cylinder and verify 1 and 4 are up. I just need a little clarification before I start. Or just get the cams set with marks 2 and 3 in the proper positon, Mark T lined up to line and as long as 1 and 4 are at the top will I will be good.Thanks.
      If I follow you and your manual... it is trying to tell you that the BOTH cam shafts are to be installed so that the notches are on the same side of the motor as the brake lever... the RIGHT side. That is to say, when sitting on the bike, the rider's right hand.

Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Working...
      X