Shifter pedal rod linkage adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter pedal rod linkage adjustment

On my 83 gs1100e, how much play should be in this linkage that connects the pedal to the gear coming into of the transmission? I can wiggle the pedal pretty good without moving the gear, feels like there's too much slop currently.

Also, with the linkage disconnected from the gear, should the gear itself feel tight or have some play in it?

Mine uses a similar heim joint setup and is sloppy. Was sloppy new and never got sloppier. One sore point is the free play on the shaft that is attached to the frame. Ithe shipter isnt machined or bushed its just like a piece of extruded pipe stock. It wiggles like a bastard there. No real meat left to machine the hole to insert an nice needle bearing either. My k1300 has a delightful shifter made to close tolerances with bearings and shifts crisply and reafily.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

If I understand your question / observation correctly, the slop you are referring to is where the heim joint assembly meets the lever that slides onto the transmission shaft? Had same issue with my owned since new 83. Solution was to remove the shifter assembly and weld (on the back side) the apparently peened over heim joint attachment point to the lever that attaches to shift shaft.. Do the sane where assembly attaches to the gear selector lever.

Comment

Yes there's play in the pedal, and in the shaft coming out of the case. Together, it just feels a little sloppy, like something was out of adjustment or worn.

I was hoping there was some sort of bushing or bearing I could replace on the shaft to eliminate the play in the shaft, but it sounds like the shaft just rides directly on the metal of the case?

Comment

I went through this with my wife's (1981) motorcycle. I put fresh heim joints on it and 90% of the slop went away. Of course, YMMV.
          Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
          Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

I've determined the play in the linkage portion is at the ball stud mount on the collar that attaches to the shift shaft. I've ordered that, and an oil seal for the shaft, and will attempt to do that weld or mod to case to reduce slop on that shaft
            Last edited by adam83; 06-02-2023, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X