Engine tick/tapping noise only taking off in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine tick/tapping noise only taking off in gear

Hello everyone, I'm new and glad to be here. I recently bought a 1981 GS1100 that has 26k miles from a guy up in the Indianapolis area and I'm in the process of restoring the bike.
    There is a slight tick or tapping noise, which I thought was the timing chain, but now I'm not so sure. The bike sounds great at first, but when it's fully warmed up I can hear an audible tick/tapping noise only when I'm in gear taking off from a stop. Also, when I rev the bike in neutral there is no noise, everything sounds normal.

Here is a list of things that I have done and parts that I've replaced so far.
    - Removed and cleaned auto tensioner. (didn't help)
    - Replaced auto tensioner with an APE manual tensioner. (didn't help)
    - I adjusted the all valves on the looser side per the Suzuki manual. (0.005in)
    - While adjusting the valves, I checked the timing and everything looks good. I also installed the APE's manual tensioner while the valve cover was off to make sure the chain wasn't overly loose or tight.
    - New d8ea spark plugs and coils
    - New clutch
    - Ricks r/r
    - Ricks stator
    - Delkevic full exhaust

I've uploaded a video to youtube so you guys can hear the noise. Hopefully, someone will know what it is and point me in the right direction.

Video Link - https://youtu.be/gQXTElibMoQ

Thanks so much for your time.
    Last edited by Stephenabner; 06-04-2023, 02:00 PM.

For fun check the drive chain.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
      For fun check the drive chain.
      Thanks for your input, I checked the drive chain and everything seems fine.

The bike doesn't make the noise until the engine has fully warmed up. What is your thoughts with the drive chain? Are you thinking the front sprocket or shaft?

I may go ride to get some heat into the engine, and pull the front sprocket cover off and have the wife record has I engage and disengage the clutch.

Thanks.​

Comment

I can't hear anything out of the ordinary from the video. Of course, I'm old and don't hear so well anymore! I sent you a PM.
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

The chain could have a couple of links that have lost their O-rings (if it's a quality chain) and they may get kinked till they warm up. You could loosen up the rear wheel and check each link individually. That would be the next thing I'd do, after reading what you've done.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
            The chain could have a couple of links that have lost their O-rings (if it's a quality chain) and they may get kinked till they warm up. You could loosen up the rear wheel and check each link individually. That would be the next thing I'd do, after reading what you've done.
            Interesting, I'll check the links and let you know what I find. I was thinking about replacing the chain and sprockets anyway.

Comment

I wish't I could hear it too, but nothing I could hear... My def. of a tick can be way different from others. def. of a tick.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I too am old and deaf. I assume that is when the bike is moving. I like what the others said about the drive chain. If you do replace it go 530, assuming it has not been done already.
                1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.
                  An exhaust leaking at the port can sound just like mechanical mayhem.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If the noise is happening when you disengage the clutch, when starting to move, I would suspect something in the clutch functionality. It just might be the new clutch discs need some time to wear-in?? How many miles have you put on the new clutch? Was the clutch basket tight on the shaft? Did you replace the friction discs with OEM parts or aftermarket? Did you replace the clutch springs? Just my thinking out loud!
                    Ron
                    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I'd start with the simple stuff first. A new clutch should give nothing but better clutch engagement. If there is ticking from the clutch, it wasn't put back together properly.

Get a good D.I.D. O-Ring chain, it's worth the money, you're only lubing the friction of the chain and the sprockets at contact, the chain's O-Rings are holding in the chain's lube. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                        I'd start with the simple stuff first. A new clutch should give nothing but better clutch engagement. If there is ticking from the clutch, it wasn't put back together properly.

Get a good D.I.D. O-Ring chain, it's worth the money, you're only lubing the friction of the chain and the sprockets at contact, the chain's O-Rings are holding in the chain's lube. IMHO.
                        What am I missing here? The vidoe shows the bike moving at most from a few inches to less than 1 foot forward. How can the drive chain be causing the noise? Would you please enlighten me?
                        Ron
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post

What am I missing here? The vidoe shows the bike moving at most from a few inches to less than 1 foot forward. How can the drive chain be causing the noise? Would you please enlighten me?
                          Vibration can make a chain wobble and slap if its worn.
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Honestly, I was confused by this too. But I planned to replace the chain and sprocket anyway.

Comment

If the noise is happening when you disengage the clutch, when starting to move, I would suspect something in the clutch functionality. It just might be the new clutch discs need some time to wear-in?? How many miles have you put on the new clutch? Was the clutch basket tight on the shaft? Did you replace the friction discs with OEM parts or aftermarket? Did you replace the clutch springs? Just my thinking out loud!
                              The clutch is a complete EBC SRK50 clutch kit. It came with new Friction discs, steel plates, and springs. The clutch has about 300 miles of use so far.

Now that I think about it, I did remove the basket so I could remove the piano wire to replace the steel plate on the backside. I reinstalled the wire and torqued the basket to spec. I'm pretty sure everything is installed correctly. But now you've got me second-guessing myself lol. I may pull it back apart and take a look just to rule it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X