Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crankcase vent mesh screen

check these threads:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

&

i have been experiencing the same issues, and have tried to fix it for a while. it seems from the first forum link above that there ought to be a mesh "chicken wire" type thing that sits above the valve cover inside the breather chamber where the hose attaches to. i dont have this wire mesh situation. i would love to find one and install it, because it worked for the people in the other forums. bwringer endorses it's use! what's not to love?

i can tell you that a few years back i tried to DIY the same sort of idea, and used a single ply of t-shirt material to screen the oil out and it worked extremely poorly!! lol

where can i find one of these?
    i don't see it on the OEM fiches. i do have the wide gasket/blocker installed, as indicated in the fiche image...

this was last weekend, three separate times in one trip. yeesh... time for some new brake pads

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    81 gs1100E
    81 gs550
    74 xlch 1000 custom
    03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
    76 honda cj360
    72 honda cl350
    2 green parrots

Look at the 77-79 GS750. I actually have mine installed and then I've ran a hose from the V.C. to the battery box and secured a filter right above the chain/swingarm. Can share pics if needed. Might try 0/0 steel wool losely packed.

number 9

image.png
    Current:
    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
    1998 Chevy C2500
    1999 Rav4

Comment

Some photos would be appreciated but not necessary, I’d just like to see what works for others. Mine initially came with a little K&N filter on the end of the hose but it only pitches downward from the V.C. So there’s no disincentive for the oil mist to drip down and out. In the past that filter got saturated and spread oil over the top of the swingarm.

I’ve seen some catch cans with inlet and outlet hoses on them, considered something like this but the online offerings are opaque and not really sized to be easily/cleanly removed if it was full.

ideal would be prevention.

leery of stuffing steel wool up in the V.C., in case it drops some fibers or something into the oil bath…?
      81 gs1100E
      81 gs550
      74 xlch 1000 custom
      03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
      76 honda cj360
      72 honda cl350
      2 green parrots

Comment

McMaster Carr sell various stainless mesh. I've used Scotch Brite Copper Coated Scouring Pads before in a pinch.

Comment

Here's a photo of one of my GSs. The catch can sits in the lowest part of the belly pan. The filter is much higher up. That tank holds about a pint. It has a valve that allows me to drain it easily. Vent tube routes up from the top of the motor.

can1.jpg

Comment

My back halved GS. You can see the vent filter on the far lower left is again located higher than the catch can (center bottom). It's also far to the right of the tire. I designed the tanks with internal baffles the minimize the chance of oil getting to the filter. Also note the tank's easy access drain valve. A pop bottle with paper towel and a zip tie would work just as well and be lighter.

can2.jpg

Attached Files
            Last edited by joequesmith; 07-01-2023, 12:00 AM. Reason: Test to see if admins delete the photo a second time.

Comment

Originally posted by joequesmith View Post
              My back halved GS. You can see the vent filter on the far lower left is again located higher than the catch can (center bottom). It's also far to the right of the tire. I designed the tanks with internal baffles the minimize the chance of oil getting to the filter. Also note the tank's easy access drain valve. A pop bottle with paper towel and a zip tie would work just as well and be lighter.

I have seen a beer can used more times than you can shake a stick at.

Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
              Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

I had a little inverted hand sanitizer bottle fixed to the end of the hose for a while, it worked great for normal commuting and track day use, and would allow me to flip but cap (facing down) to let the collected water and oil drain out, but the sustained fast riding overwhelms the capacity in short order, every time.

certianly there’s something to be said for a catch container more than 2.25 fl oz

pic of it chopped off during my last bout of frustration @ a gas station, thinking maybe it was causing a problem more than fixing it. Didn’t work.

thanks for the help, I’m gonna put some fine stainless mesh in the top cover and reinstall a bigger transparent catch container and see how it fares
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                81 gs1100E
                81 gs550
                74 xlch 1000 custom
                03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                76 honda cj360
                72 honda cl350
                2 green parrots

Comment

It does look a bit small. I used a water bottle on my stock GS and it basically stayed dry but that bike has a mesh type baffle. The two shown also have similar mesh but these have a lot of blowby and I have to drain the tanks often.

Comment

Originally posted by CincinnatiKid View Post
                    thanks for the help, I’m gonna put some fine stainless mesh in the top cover and reinstall a bigger transparent catch container and see how it fares
                    That's basically all the oem bit is, anyway. Enough volume to form an oil mist condensate trap.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I have a stock head like you show without the mesh. Note that the hose connects on the opposite end from the vent hole in the gasket. Also note the size of the cavity and drain ports. Even without the mesh like the later bike had, I wouldn't expect a lot of liquid to escape assuming there are no problems with the bike.

oldhead2.jpg

Comment

Buy some stainless chore boy pot scrubbers and cut chunks to stuff the cavities. The mess vasically acts as a condensation surface rthat traps oil vapors and stops it short of the airbox
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Buy some aluminum screen, cut off a square a few inches wide, fold it up a bunch, done.
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Yes thanks all for the tips, I got some stainless screen material and will get it sorted and report back on how it works.
                            81 gs1100E
                            81 gs550
                            74 xlch 1000 custom
                            03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                            76 honda cj360
                            72 honda cl350
                            2 green parrots

Comment

Yeah stock is just folded back on itself (like a squashed Z) three or four times
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X