1983 GS1100E Clutch parts questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100E Clutch parts questions

Im going to replace the friction discs and steels on my 83. I was planning on ordering OEM pieces, unless there is a better option? With OEM, there are 2 part numbers for friction discs, 1 for the D model, 1 for the Z model. I have the D model, but is there any benefit to using the Z model discs?

Are any other parts in this clutch setup that are known to get worn out at this age and should be replaced? For example, any of the springs, washers, wave washers, bearings etc?

Also, what is the unlabeled part between 16 and 17 on the diagram?

that's the 1 steel plate goes between the wave washer (17) and the ring stopper (piano wire # 16). I'm thinking the Z plates are thinner and require 10 to be used instead of 9 as the D uses. But wait for verification on that.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I just replaced the frictions in my 83 850 and I used EBC plates because they are about half the cost of OEM. I've put a few hundred miles on them, so far so good. Several others on the forum have used EBC with success as well. I did not replace the steel plates because they looked fine. I would also replace the springs (item 12 in your image) if I were you, they're cheap and you've got it apart so you may as well replace them as well. I would just use OEM springs if your bike is stock.
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

I replaced the fiber discs in my owned since new 1100ED. The 83 had /has the extra fiber disc....one year only. The thinner metal core of the fiber discs do put grooves in the clutch basket...sometimes enough to require basket replacement. I installed Fast by Gast fibers. I re used original pressure plate springs, had basket properly riveted / welded and damper springs replaced etc. by Pearson Racing ...West Alexandria, Ohio

Comment

Thanks for replies. I'm a little confused, is it the Z that got the 10 fibers/steels, or is it the D? Or did both get 10? I'm assuming since there are different part numbers for the D and Z , that only one of them got the thinner disc's.

Grand Rouge, I've not heard of those brands/companies I'll have to check them out, and also inspect my clutch basket to see what you mean.

Comment

The number of plates you need is in the picture you posted.

Yes, some aftermarket plates work, but if they damaged your clutch basket after a few thousand miles
            you would be sorry.
            Can't beat OEM, i'd look around for a good price, still to be found.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

EZ Clutch overhaul - The GSResources Forums
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by adam83 View Post
                Im going to replace the friction discs and steels on my 83. I was planning on ordering OEM pieces, unless there is a better option? With OEM, there are 2 part numbers for friction discs, 1 for the D model, 1 for the Z model. I have the D model, but is there any benefit to using the Z model discs?
                From what I remember, Suzuki stopped supplying the asbestos plates to the USA and the new OEM plates were not as good as their original. I was talking with Paul Gast about it and he had sorted out who the original supplier was and went directly to them in order to buy by bulk. He would show up at the track and you could buy as many as you wanted at basically cost. I don't believe he is in business anymore and suspect the only thing you can get are the newer OEM mix or aftermarket. I tried various aftermarket plates but they all have their problems.

That said, if your just using them with your stock street bike. No big deal.

plates.jpg

Comment

Different aftermarket plated viewed from the side. Not a fan of the top two, even for stock. The thicker aluminum substrate is going to be much easier on a stock basket.
                  plates1.jpg

Comment

Thanks for that info. I'd think you couldn't mix them in the same hub??? or is the difference small enough you could adjust to workOK? I've replaced several plates, but don't remember dealing with this.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      Thanks for that info. I'd think you couldn't mix them in the same hub??? or is the difference small enough you could adjust to workOK? I've replaced several plates, but don't remember dealing with this.
                      Assuming you mean mixing different aftermarket parts, I wouldn't recommend it.

The stackup for what I am doing is a bit more critical than for a street bike. I've ground steels for different thicknesses to get the height I want. Shown is the clutch for my GS, same era as yours. The plates shown came from Paul. I think I bought 50 or so last time. Note the custom feeler gauge with ball point pen used to check the stack.

plates2.jpg

Comment

Thinking more about OEM plates. I now have an "83" (D) model bike with thinner plates. I have several older plates back there that are from earlier bikes, that will be the thicker plates. If I take my "83" clutch apart and find a couple, or 3, broken plates, can I just stick a couple, or 3 of those old, thicker, plates in there and be OK, or would it make the complete stack too thick (tall) to work properly on a stock bike? I know I have both older 1100 plates and GS1150 plates back there in the same pile, but never noticed the difference in thickness.

Comment

Originally posted by adam83 View Post
                          I've not heard of those brands/companies
                          Fiber discs are 9.50 ea at Schnitz

FBG Clutch Fiber Suzuki GS1100-GS1150 - Schnitz Racing
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Seems strange, FBG doesn't distinguish between the 2 thicknesses for the GS1100's just say use 9 plates that would indicate they are the same as earlier thicker plates. It got me wondering so looking I found that Suzuki went back to the thicker plates for the GS1150's. It seems the thinner plates were for "83" GS1100 chain dr. models only.... Who'd have thunk that???

Comment

So if I wanted to order oem, but avoid the thinner 83 stuff, would I be good ordering steels and fibers for an 82 bike?

Comment

Working...
                              X