Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Selector Forks

Hi Folk

Noob question here. It's time to commence the reassembly of my 1980 GS1000G. During the disassembly process I took a lot photos to assist during the reassembly process. BUT - it turns out my images of the transmission gear selector forks could have been taken at better angles.

I now see that the forks on shaft No 2 (toward the rear of the engine) are different sizes. Yes - I did not pay close attention during the pull down. The fork on the left of the image is less than half crescent, while the fork on the right is a full crescent.

I've done a lot of searches on here and could not get any clarification. The workshop manual just states "Insert gear shifting fork shaft..." and "At this time, pay attention to the direction of the gear shifting fork". The images in the PDF workshop manual are quite dark which makes it difficult to see.

My (noob) question is, in what order do they go on the shaft? E.G. Half crest on the left or right side of the engine.

Below is an image of the forks

Cheers and thanks again

See if this helps. It's not a 1000, but an 1100E shift fork set up....should be similar.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      See if this helps. It's not a 1000, but an 1100E shift fork set up....should be similar.

Thanks for the image Baatfam but the setup has some variations by the look of it. Can't quite see if the forks have a size variation on shaft No 2.

The springs on that shaft look like a good improvement though.

Comment

RESOLVED!!

Just a follow up one this post. I was able to find some images on a separate hard drive of the gear selector layout before disassembly. It turns out, according to those images taken from various angles, I had nothing to worry about.

So nothing to see here folks.

As we used to say in the realms of I.T. systems support - "The system is fine, it's the nut behind the keyboard that has issues"

Comment

Great to hear the nut on the keyboard got it figured out.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
          X