1978 gs1000 clutch not engaging after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue_magician View Post
    IMG_4540.jpg I feel like I’ve reached the point where it isn’t the cable and it’s something inside the clutch. I’m going to take the pressure plate off and make sure it’s all good. I used all Suzuki parts for the rebuild. Does anyone have a picture of how this part is supposed to be placed?
    No picture, but the bearings face the base (T) of the clutch pull
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Clack and grinding noises don't sound good, and from what I've been around maybe not clutch. Just wondering, is there room for maybe the front, countershaft, sprocket to slip out enough to disengage, that could make a clunking grinding sound and act if in neutral. Those clutches are so simple, hard to do them wrong enough they won't engage at all.
      Last edited by rphillips; 08-08-2023, 05:47 PM.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Did this ever get fixed?

I blow my clutch plates out often on my 1000 - I use cheap ones because of the weak clutch basket and my right wrist :-)
        Current:
        1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
        1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
        1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
        1998 Chevy C2500
        1999 Rav4

Comment

There’s no grinding or clacking now after the rebuild. I’ll check the gear side of things then

Comment

Checking the gear side? If you're taking the clutch cover off, the inner and outer clutch hubs should seem glued or locked together. If you can turn either at all, without the other turning the same amount, something in the clutch isn't right. If you have access to a center stand, this stuff would much easier to try to figure out.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Checking the gear side? If you're taking the clutch cover off, the inner and outer clutch hubs should seem glued or locked together. If you can turn either at all, without the other turning the same amount, something in the clutch isn't right. If you have access to a center stand, this stuff would much easier to try to figure out.
              I wish this bike still had its center stand, I have it on a motorcycle table lift. I’ll get a motorcycle jack stand for it tomorrow.
              I feel like they were locked together. I remember putting the bike into first gear to torque down the friction plate or else the clutch would rotate, but in first gear the clutch was locked in place allowing me to torque the friction plate bolts. I used that clutch tool to torque down the clutch hub nut.

Comment

I have run tie down straps off of the rafters in my barn to get the bike hanging at a nice altitude so I don't have to bend over to fix it. Just get one end up, then the other. I used very high quality tie down straps. I had the front end off, and the front of the bike pointing to the ceiling, when I had to drill and tap, then Heli-Coil all the broken exhaust studs out.

Comment

I got the rear tire off the ground yesterday, put it in first and from the resistance of the tire moving it’s in gear. So the bike goes in gear it must be a clutch issue

Comment

Not necessarily, it means that when the clutch is engaged, the gears aren't moving. When it's in Neutral, the rear wheel should spin, if the clutch is working properly, If you have a bad gear, then the clutch won't move.

If you took it apart, remove the spark plugs, you should be able to turn the whole thing over by spinning the clutch basket. That will tell you if the drive line is O.K.. You could put a wrench on the crank too, that will turn over the engine, and you should see the clutch basket move, and be able to shift through the gears.. I say to remove the spark plugs as that will make it much easier to spin. Once you can, or can't go through all the gears, then you will know where problem is. .

Comment

I wonder if the gear pawl behind the clutch basket is aligned correctly or maybe the notches in the back of the clutch basket aren't properly engaged to oil pump drive gear.
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

After going through the clutch again, the correct answer was 8 friction discs not 7.

Comment

That's great, just glad the fix wasn't near as bad as finding what was wrong.

Comment

Good to hear you got it sorted.
                            I regularly seem to be missing things not adding things when i am reassembling.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                            X