Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000 - Clutch issue?

Hi All,

working on resurrecting an old GS1000 that's been sitting a long time. I was able to get the bike to run, but noted a loud rattly noise when i let the clutch lever out. It went away with increasing the throttle. On disassembling the bike, i noted that after i took the clutch cable off, the 'lever' that actuates the clutch (on the engine, not the handlebar level) has absolutely no resistance to it. I would expect it to spring back into place if I push on it, but it just flops around. Do I perhaps need to order a clutch kit and re-do the whole thing? Just curious about what parts I should order in advance.

Thanks.

Thats normal for a GS1000. When adjusting the cable, you're adjusting this freeplay.

For the rattle, I'd check the clutch basket. Might be some info around here about it.
    I've broken some clutch plates on mine a time or two and it made some racket for sure...

If you're going in, make sure you have the gasket and seal (# 22) and friction plates (sitting a long time)
    There are cheap ones on Ebay and I've used them and been hard on them - see above - I also have a GSXR rear tire/wheel assy installed.

No "return spring" - only the pressure plate springs apply return pressure

image.png
    Current:
    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
    1998 Chevy C2500
    1999 Rav4

Comment

The GS1000 central clutch hub nut tends to come loose, may want to check.
      Check the movie around 1:00.

Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

That arm should be hard to push, in one direction, 6 springs should be pressing against it, will need leverage from a wrench pr something to compress the springs. It should barely move the other direction. I don't think you will know what you need till you go inside and see what's going on. Just my opinion.
        Last edited by rphillips; 09-22-2023, 05:11 PM.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
        X