Generator/Crankshaft Nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator/Crankshaft Nut

Greetings all. I am finally getting around to repairing a starter clutch failure on an 83 GS 1100E. It's taken some due diligence in sourcing the parts I needed for replacing some damaged items. The assembly is sitting back over the shaft and meshed in with the starter sprocket now, all ready to be tightened down. However, I received a new generator nut the other day and when I went to try and wind it on the shaft, It didn't seem to want to start winding on. The threads seem to be okay on the crank but I'm a little leery of putting a wrench on this nut just to "start" the nut onto the shaft. I've come across axle nuts and some other nuts which are intentionally pressed to be out of round so they will not back off. So I guess my question is, Are these nuts usually harder to spin on from the very beginning as opposed to a regular old nut with the same thread specs?

It should just screw on like most others... Oh yeah, Welcome
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

That's what I was thinking but this bike sat for a few years after the damage occurred and I can't remember how hard the nut wound off. I can't recall if it was tight right to the end of the threads or not. Thought somebody might remember from memory or is currently working on their bike who might be able to check.

Comment

Originally posted by SEYMOUR View Post
        That's what I was thinking but this bike sat for a few years after the damage occurred and I can't remember how hard the nut wound off. I can't recall if it was tight right to the end of the threads or not. Thought somebody might remember from memory or is currently working on their bike who might be able to check.
        An interference fit would be well suited to such an application. The threads on the nut or shaft may have galled upon disassembly.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

ok manual says its torqued to 123 pound feet and secured with suzuki 1303 thread lock. That's the strongest there is like red loctite. There may be some thread lock residue impeding you. Not sure if heat helps remove it or if there's a chem you can use. Maybe run a tap through if you have one?
          Last edited by Cipher; 02-02-2024, 06:14 PM.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Looks like I'll have to remove any doubt and get some thread gauges. It's a brand new nut and from what I can see the threads appear fine on the crankshaft. I may just take the nut with me to a hardware store and see if it will wind onto a 14mm x 1.5 or 1.25 bolt or a 16mm x 1.5 or 1mm. That way, if it does I can either buy that size die or maybe another nut to help clean up the threads. Thanks all for the responses and advice. Cheers
            Last edited by SEYMOUR; 02-02-2024, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SEYMOUR View Post
              Looks like I'll have to remove any doubt and get some thread gauges. It's a brand new nut and from what I can see the threads appear fine on the crankshaft. I may just take the nut with me to a hardware store and see if it will wind onto a 14mm x 1.5 or 1.25 bolt or a 16mm x 1.5 or 1mm. That way, if it does I can either buy that size die or maybe another nut to help clean up the threads. Thanks all for the responses and advice. Cheers
              This is a pic of a used one for sale. Locking compound visible. Looks like galled as well.
              1e8806591cb424cdcf7ffbd9ae98b1ed.jpg
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Can't make a comment regarding a new nut as all the ones I have are used... but have not had a threading struggle as long as old locking compound is removed an threads are clean. I'm sure you have but verify the PN you received as 31792-49200
                83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

DON'T force the issue. When I was 20, I'd get a hammer. When that didn't work, I'd get a bigger hammer. Don't do that.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                  X