Gs1100e or katana 1100 motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100e or katana 1100 motor

Okay so, have a 1983 gs1100e, picked up for good price as project, now it's ready to go and selling it.

So from what I know the difference of the gsx and the katana motor is the conrods and you simply find the number that's on them, forget what number is but I'd need a dental mirror and pull the clutch basket off to probably see it, or maybe a bore scope.

Anyways, one of my friends that owns two genuine katanas has the serial number on the motor starting as "gs110x" and my motor also matches that beginning part of the serial.

I have another friend who has katana 1000 motors but those were like "gs10xz" or something of that nature

Anyways, for people who would know if i would be able to tell simply by the serial number on the engine let me know what I can do.

The only reason I have a suspicion of it being a katana motor is because the guy who sold it to my friend that i bought it from said its a katana motor, and it has 15k miles, well the odometer says 51k miles on the bike but the motor has like 185psi compression and the pistons look clean at the top so it must have some truth to it, I know I can't just go off a seller saying it's this when there might not be a way to check visually on the outside.

Also the carb set still has mixture screw covers on it, and it seems to act a bit lean, it has an exhaust but figure not much difference, so it might have a bigbore kit if stock carb settings are lean for the motor, it has the original airbox.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

As I'd never heard a difference in the rods, I took a quick look at Suzuki parts, connecting rod part numbers show the same part number for all the 16 valye 1000 and 1100 engines from 1981 through 1983. Didn't bother to look any farther. When advertising, just say the eng. has been replaced, "E", "ES", or "KATANA won't make any difference. Just be sure the eng. isn't a GS750, if you don't know what to look for, they look very similar.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      ………. same part number for all the 16 valye 1000 and 1100 engines from 1981 through 1983….
      16 valve 1000 engine? Was there such a thing?
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Those special rods is something mentioned by the hot rod racer guys. Unless someone is building a race engine, nobody would care, though.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes. 16valve 1000cc Katana only I think. Homologation special for TTF1 1000cc limit. And for countries where the top limit was 1000cc for production or production based racing

Comment

I learnt something new today.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
              Okay so, have a 1983 gs1100e, picked up for good price as project, now it's ready to go and selling it.

So from what I know the difference of the gsx and the katana motor is the conrods and you simply find the number that's on them, forget what number is but I'd need a dental mirror and pull the clutch basket off to probably see it, or maybe a bore scope.

Anyways, one of my friends that owns two genuine katanas has the serial number on the motor starting as "gs110x" and my motor also matches that beginning part of the serial.

I have another friend who has katana 1000 motors but those were like "gs10xz" or something of that nature

Anyways, for people who would know if i would be able to tell simply by the serial number on the engine let me know what I can do.

The only reason I have a suspicion of it being a katana motor is because the guy who sold it to my friend that i bought it from said its a katana motor, and it has 15k miles, well the odometer says 51k miles on the bike but the motor has like 185psi compression and the pistons look clean at the top so it must have some truth to it, I know I can't just go off a seller saying it's this when there might not be a way to check visually on the outside.

Also the carb set still has mixture screw covers on it, and it seems to act a bit lean, it has an exhaust but figure not much difference, so it might have a bigbore kit if stock carb settings are lean for the motor, it has the original airbox.
              Hi, Suzuki make it easy for us when it comes to identifying "Katana" engine capacity from the early 1980's. The capacity is cast into the base of number 1 cylinder and viewed from the front of the engine. The other method is the prefix before the engine number. As you have noted with your friends Katana the prefix tells the story.

The engine number prefix for an 1100 is GS110X. The 11 after GS = 1100cc.

Same thing for the 1000 engine. GS10X. The 10 after GS = 1000cc.

The numbers after the GS110X are not used to identify the capacity of the engine, the prefix does that.

The Katana 1000 was supplied to a few markets and depending on which market the engine specifications are different. In some markets Katana 1000 was supplied with detuned 34mm CV carbs where as most other markets the Katana 1000 was supplied with slide carbs as they were manufactured to compete in Production Series racing in some countries and were not performance restricted.
              Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 02-13-2024, 11:56 PM.
              Shin-Ken 1074
              1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
              1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

493 kat rods are only in 1000 kat engines. 83 black 16 valve engines are all the same no matter model.

Comment

Working...
                X