Generator/Crankshaft nut "Resolved" but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator/Crankshaft nut "Resolved" but

1983 GS1100E. Looking for the best solution to lock the engine in place while tightening the generator nut? Seen a you tube video where somebody had used a braided rope but don't understand the theory behind what he had done. Manual shows me a spanner wrench on the rotor but until I actually tighten the nut, the rotor is just going to spin freely anyway. What is the consensus on here for the best way to lock the engine down? I'm trying to repair threads at the very end of crankshaft where it had gotten bumped by something. Using a button type M16 x1.5 threading die but because the crank is a hardened steel, it wants to turn before the die cuts damaged area.

Have you tried a decent thread file?
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I managed to get my hands on a thread file about an hour ago. Not sure of the quality. Hard to find good quality tools in small town Canada. I think between the thread file, the threading die ,and a small triangular file I should be able to bring it back......slow and steady for the win I guess. I guess the rope is for filling up a cylinder so the piston can't do a full cycle. Friend of mine steered me in the right direction.

Comment

You are on the money about using the rope. An "Old School" way to lock the engine is to remove # 1 spark plug, place #1 piston at the bottom of the stroke and on it's way up to TDC. Thread a soft rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole ensuring enough rope is left outside to prevent the rope disappearing into the cylinder. When the job is done rotate the engine to take the pressure off the rope and slowly remove the rope from the cylinder. I have seen some people mark the end of the rope with a pen marker to ensure all of the rope is accounted for when it is removed.

When I remove or install the generator nut or front sprocket nut a battery powered rattle gun is my best friend. The down side to this method is not having the correct torque setting however, it works for me.

Using a rotor wrench (can be made if you have access to a welder) is the better way to go. When the end of the wrench handle makes contact with the ground the rotor can not spin on the crankshaft and allows a torque wrench to correctly tighten the nut down.
        Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 02-20-2024, 10:13 PM.
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions and good info. I was able to salvage things and the nut is winding on and off with ease now. I ended up cutting about 5/32" of the end of the crankshaft though. I had messed up the threads there initially so much that my threading die wouldn't wind on square to the shaft any more so I had to zip-cut that much off and start fresh. After cutting the very end off I took some 220 sanding paper and lightly deburred the end threads. Threading die started nice and square/straight and still plenty of threads to fully seat the nut. Has anybody ever used one of these strap wrenches as a way to hold the rotor when tightening/installing nut or loosening/ removing nut? I remember using mine for uses other than what it was intended for? The more pressure on it, the more pressure, the tighter the strap?

71S2NBerxjL._AC_SX679_.jpg
          Last edited by SEYMOUR; 02-25-2024, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Good, glad you got the thread thing took care of. I had one once that was so bad I never got it acceptable, wound up welding the nut on. I never have installed the rotor on the bench, just waited till on the bike and let the clutch, tranny, chain, and 2x4 in the rear wheel hold the crankshaft.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
            X