Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shafty question for the Gurus

Hi all.

I had to create a new account. I was formerly Highway_Glider. Anyway that is how I think I spelled it.

Anyhoo.

I started working again on my garage queen. My GS1100GK.

Last time I had replaced the engine and stopped for ....Reasons.

So I bolted in the drive shaft and get this horrible grinding (With turning resistance) halfway in a a full rotation. (I am turning the wheel the engine is not in gear.

2 things come to mind.

One the shaft is 90 degrees out of phase?
    two I need to redo the backlash in the pumpkin? Though I have a hard time with that one.

If someone can advise it would be nice.

I am at a place where the bike will run this summer or go.

Thanks,

Daniel

I would loosen the swing arm pivots and recenter the drive shaft inside the swing arm tube. Also maybe pull the shaft again and check the ujoint. I am assuming all 4 bolts to the rear spline hub are tight and nothings askew there??? you reused the existing shims???
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 02-25-2024, 08:57 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost_Rider View Post
      Hi all.

I had to create a new account. I was formerly Highway_Glider. Anyway that is how I think I spelled it.

Daniel
      Greetings once again my friend!

Stan's bike is still here. Needs a seat cover and a few days work.

Pull the rear wheel off and look at the splines while you are at it.
      Last edited by rustybronco; 02-25-2024, 10:42 PM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        I would loosen the swing arm pivots and recenter the drive shaft inside the swing arm tube. Also maybe pull the shaft again and check the ujoint. I am assuming all 4 bolts to the rear spline hub are tight and nothings askew there??? you reused the existing shims???
        ​Hi Chuck.

I didn't do much to it.
        Pulled the engine and put the new one in.
        Never removed the swing arm or the pumpkin.
        So I never played with the shims in the pumpkin and do not think that I need to redo them...Unless I am told that I must of course.
        Yes I checked all around and the four bolts were in tight. Untorqued but seated tight.
        I was going to check all was well then pull them out one by one and loctite them.

I am going to check my shop manual. Maybe there is more to it than I imagined.

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        Greetings once again my friend!

Stan's bike is still here. Needs a seat cover and a few days work.

Pull the rear wheel off and look at the splines while you are at it.
        Hi Dale.

You still haunt this place then?
        How have you been?

Your profile picture is a long dead dog....But if you changed it nobody would recognize you.

Why do you still have it (The bike, not the dog)? Probably for the same reasons I keep my old dead ones (Bikes, not dogs, I have cats).

The easiest and the fastest would be to take your offer.
        You have offered before.

Stan's bike would make it my 3rd GK. (The 2nd was a part bike to help mine last a little longer)
        Wasn't it in his name? Or it was never transferred to him?
        I have no idea how to import it across the border.

​Honestly I just want to get rid of my GK.
        It as been half rebuilt for the last few years throning on the work table not doing anything.
        Not paying rent. Plus it's parts are taking every last horizontal spaces in the garage.
        I was thinking of just getting it to run throw all the parts on it and sell it for the best offer.

Last week I had 7 bikes in the garage. I sold one, yeah, and got another one for safe keeping.

Tell you what.

I am going to sleep on this.

The snow is melting fast here.
        Barring another storm in March I should/could get access to my trailer soon.
        I could pull the good stuff off the GK, take the rest to the metal guy.
        It doesn't owe me anything really. It crossed the continent twice.
        It is tired and I am tired of tearing it apart.
        And go West....
        Your number is in my phone.

I'll sleep on it.

Daniel

Comment

chuck hahn

I just looked at the part diagrams and...

Perhaps when I pulled the engine the splines from the shaft moved out a bit making the shaft longer.
          If the splines are out enough they won't re-engage well and slip well or at all. Causing the rubbing I hear.

So....remove the rear wheel and pumpkin.

Reattach the shaft to the engine and rebuild the back end of all this.

Thanks,

Daniel

Comment

Hi Dale.

You still haunt this place then?
            How have you been?
            I still haunt this place but not very often.

Your profile picture is a long dead dog....But if you changed it nobody would recognize you.
            That was Buffet. I have had two other Goldens since then. I could change to a picture of my latest. (Massimo)

Why do you still have it (The bike, not the dog)? Probably for the same reasons I keep my old dead ones (Bikes, not dogs, I have cats).
            It's Stans so mostly for posterity's sake.

The easiest and the fastest would be to take your offer.
            You have offered before.
            Your GK has been through so much..

Stan's bike would make it my 3rd GK. (The 2nd was a part bike to help mine last a little longer)
            Wasn't it in his name? Or it was never transferred to him?
            Never transferred to his name. I have the title for it.

I have no idea how to import it across the border.
            Because of it's age I don't think that would be too much of a problem.

Honestly I just want to get rid of my GK.

Tell you what.

I am going to sleep on this.
            The snow is melting fast here.
            Barring another storm in March I should/could get access to my trailer soon.
            I could pull the good stuff off the GK, take the rest to the metal guy.
            It doesn't owe me anything really. It crossed the continent twice.
            It is tired and I am tired of tearing it apart.
            And go West....
            Your number is in my phone.

I'll sleep on it.

Daniel
            It needs a bit of work. Not in the greatest of shape but what is there is in good nick. The front calipers are off. I have new pistons for it but not together. The seat cover is junk and a forward section of the foam is missing. I have a section of automotive seat foam to repair it with. It's got a ton of dust on it so it would need to be cleaned. The fairing and tank are still off. Rear tyre is junk but I might have a new spare. Like I said. Needs a bit of work. Maybe come spring I will focus on putting it back together.

Learn about importing non-regulated vehicles; includes vehicles not regulated by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, importing older vehicles, importing utility-terrain vehicles

Shall I prepare a place for you to sleep? Garage is stocked full of tools. (and vehicles) I think we can get it done in a few days.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Two things come to mind: first, the spline in the rear wheel (as already mentioned), second, the secondary gears in the back of the engine. Both are prone to failure.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Two things come to mind: first, the spline in the rear wheel (as already mentioned), second, the secondary gears in the back of the engine. Both are prone to failure.
                Tank you Nessism. I'm on it.

Daniel

Comment

[QUOTE I still haunt this place but not very often.][/QUOTE]

Well, you saw my post and replied within an hour....

That was Buffet
                  Don't change your picture.

It's Stan's so mostly for posterity's sake.
                  That's also why I am not too keen on riding it. Not a ghost thing. Feels like stealing from a friend.
                  He should have ridden it.

Because of it's age I don't think that would be too much of a problem.
                  Yeah, i am of a mind that showing up at the border with a smile, a light schedule, a pen and a debit card is all that will be needed.

the foam is missing.It's got a ton of dust on it so it would need to be cleaned. The fairing and tank are still off. Rear tyre is junk but I might have a new spare. Like I said. Needs a bit of work. Maybe come spring I will focus on putting it back together.

Foam missing: You have mice in there?
                  Cover: I'll manage. My seat pan is rusted but fair. Foam is soft and the same shape as my my a.. . An arranged marriage made in heaven?
                  Dust, fairing & tank: Leave the dust on and the parts off. I'll import is as a part bike.
                  Plus it will be easier to see the serial no for the customs.
                  Callipers: I have my owns plus the ones from my part GK.
                  Rear tyre: My GK has new tires on it I did maybe 50km on them before the engine suicided.

Shall I prepare a place for you to sleep?
                  Yes please.

If springs keep going the way it is. I could be there in March.
                  More probably April.

I have the ignition mod on mine and bypassed the "Infamous-stator-loop".
                  Stan's won't. Relatively easy to do.

I don't care about transferring the FARKLEs. The stator never liked working more than stock.

So, yes, I will take Stans's bike from you and make it run.

Daniel
                  Last edited by Ghost_Rider; 02-26-2024, 02:19 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE[I]
                    I don't care about transferring the FARKLEs. The stator never liked working more than stock.
                    Just so you know,... the stator is ALWAYS putting out just as much as it can, if you have the stock R/R installed. What doesn't get used by the bike (and farkles) gets shunted to ground.

If you have a series R/R (typically the SH775), the load on the stator is reduced.
                    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Problem solved? Maybe.

OK.

I am back at working on the beast and I may have found my rubbing problem.
                      The rubbing occurs only when the bolts are tight.

So....the Suzuki part no is 09103-08050​

My part no. reading makes it as 8mm x 5 mm but the diagram part description is 8x17

The bolts I thought were the correct one are about 25mm long.

I have "Found" in my pile of parts four candidates:

Candidate on the left the "Wrong" one on the right. The "Wrong" as sign of corrosion so probably doesn't come from the oily insides of the bike. Plus it as treads the whole length. Plus it look like its supposed to look pretty on the outside of the bike (Shiny head on it).

3hTrH2L.jpg:

The wrong ones are stamped "7", the candidates "11". I am not sure but..I think the 7 is "stainless alloys" and 11 is "High tensile".

Can someone confirm the bolts before I torque and glue them in place?

The shorter bolts gives me no rubbing at any swingarm deflexion. I am a bit concerned about the length of the tread-less section. Too long would be an issue.

I can't find any reason why the longer bolt is an issue except maybe, maybe, the extra treads make the first bolt pinch the universal joint and pulls it a bit off-axis and the shaft can wobble to the side of the tube.....IJDK.

Thank you for any comments.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                      X