82 1100ez clutch rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100ez clutch rattle

loud clutch rattle under 1000 rpm. Noise goes away with the clutch engaged. Already replaced plates. springs, and hardware.

First thing i did was replace the hub nut with an APE. sent it down with an impact, its tight and i have no play/movement in the hub/sleeve itself but the "primary drive gear" or basket has play and i think is causing the loud rattling.

going pull the primary and check out the rubber cushions and spacers behind but just to be sure, theres no springs on the back of the primary correct? just the springs holding the plates in?

seen alot of posts that say starter clutch bolts could also be bad, but noise is more prevalant on clutch side so id rather start there and make sure all is good before moving on to starter clutch

i think my hub is okay, its inside the primary solid the play is all on the outer basket or the "Primary drive gear" which is the bigger outer basket

Comment

The primary drive gear runs on a needle roller race which itself runs on a hardened spacer trapped between the clutch hub and the mainshaft bearing.
      There will be a hardened washer at each end of this spacer. The length of the spacer sets the endfloat of the primary drive gear.
      The sides of the primary drive gear inner wear with time giving excessive endfloat.
      I've struck this on high mileage GS1000's and fixed it by machining the required amount off the spacer.
      Ideally set up a dial gauge on the primary drive gear and measure the endfloat. Then machine enough off the spacer to give approx .003in endfloat when assembled.
      Though the spacer is hardened, a carbide tipped lathe tool will machine it satisfactorily.

Comment

Just as an aside, how often are you operating at less than 1k rpm?

I too have an '82 11E (the "Z" means 1982).
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Just as an aside, how often are you operating at less than 1k rpm?

I too have an '82 11E (the "Z" means 1982).
          I guess technically never, but even just at 1k is enough to make it rattle

Comment

If you pull the clutch and look at the basket, the springs on the reverse side of the basket are probably all loose/worn. Most likely will want to invest in a HD backing plate kit like APE TRAC KING CLUTCH HUB ASSEMBLIES for $299 as long as your basket is not completely worn with excessive grooving from clutch fibers. I think I still have one on the parts shelf.

83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
              If you pull the clutch and look at the basket, the springs on the reverse side of the basket are probably all loose/worn. Most likely will want to invest in a HD backing plate kit like APE TRAC KING CLUTCH HUB ASSEMBLIES for $299 as long as your basket is not completely worn with excessive grooving from clutch fibers. I think I still have one on the parts shelf.

thanks ill check it out when i pull it later this week

Comment

I have always wanted a rattley dry clutch for my 1100... <sigh>
                Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
                  I have always wanted a rattley dry clutch for my 1100... <sigh>
                  i dont get it lol

Comment

Some Ducatis had dry clutches. It's what cars had, before they became obsolete. Sigh.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Noticed the rubber "cushion" shown in the parts breakdown is not there. can anyone tell me where this installs? or have pics of where it goes?

Comment

In the center of the back of the basket, there are 2 slots for 2 dogs to slide in to, one of those "slots" has a hole in the bottom of it, the other one doesn't, That little cushion sits in that hole.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Cushion is tiny btw.
                          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

thanks guys, definitely need new springs for the backplate or reshimmed but it looks like the PO already shimmed some and theyre still loose so im gunna swap. my main concern is how much end float there is on the basket. even with the hub nut as tight as itll go the hub as no in or out play, but the basket still moves in and out on the shaft alot. does anyone have a solid write up on getting the basket spacer machined down ive seen a few posts about it but nothing really definitive

Comment

Working...
                            X