Serious chain problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sam206 View Post
    Rick, no, it doesn't jump into gear by itself, but when I put it into first i get a pretty healthy clunk. Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll keep an eye on things and let you know.
    What RPM is the bike idling at?? Too high & it will clunk going into first... should idle around 1K
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
      With the wheel off the ground your chain will have more play/slop, combine this with no load/resistance and you will hear and feel all the lash,slop,play combined from chain, sprockets, splines, cush hub,and trans gears. If your idle isn't smooth or low it will make it worse. The chain might of been slapping the swinger near the pivot, or the inside of cover from the extra play and the angle of the swingarm. I think you are ok. Make sure you didn't over tighten the chain now. Adjust with weight on bike, preferably with swing-arm parallel to ground.
      To tight will make noises too.
      Paco is right on. No, I don't think the issue is with the tranny. Relax, take a deep breath, and take some short rides and see how she responds. Sometimes mine makes a little clunk when shifting into first gear.

Have fun and enjoy your bike!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by sam206 View Post
        Rick, no, it doesn't jump into gear by itself, but when I put it into first i get a pretty healthy clunk. Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll keep an eye on things and let you know.
        Sorry, my bad. Must have mis-interpreted how it read.
        Yep, an idle speed thats a tad high will give you a good clunk when you stick it in 1st. It would also make the bike jump a bit.
        I think most manuals say pretty much a 1000 rpm at idle. A slightly dragging clutch will make it jump a bit going into gear. And make it a bugger to find neutral too.
        Trannys from different makes act differently too. I drove my brother's `76 RD400 and I couldn't tell it had upshifted it was that smooth. Yet my (at the time) `77 XS650 clunked through every gear up and down.
        My GS1000 I have now clunks going into 1st but I think its idling a touch high.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2010, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Rick, done and done Thanks gents.

Comment

Working...
          X