No announcement yet.

Cam Chain Links Out of Synch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aah yes, silly me, I see what the confusion is. I think the words are right and the bottom part of the diagram but not the top half.

Have a look at the picture on here for the GS1000:
    gs1000st, gs1000, gs1000s, suzuki gs1000, suzuki gs1000s, suzuki gs1000st, gs1000s 1980, gs1000 st, 1980 gs1000s, 1980 gs1000

You'll see at the bottom of the page what I mean about the slots on the cams - they're the bits coloured green. I'm pretty sure this holds up for all Suzuki cam shafts - I can't think of when it didn't apply.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      Aah yes, silly me, I see what the confusion is. I think the words are right and the bottom part of the diagram but not the top half.

Have a look at the picture on here for the GS1000:
      gs1000st, gs1000, gs1000s, suzuki gs1000, suzuki gs1000s, suzuki gs1000st, gs1000s 1980, gs1000 st, 1980 gs1000s, 1980 gs1000

You'll see at the bottom of the page what I mean about the slots on the cams - they're the bits coloured green. I'm pretty sure this holds up for all Suzuki cam shafts - I can't think of when it didn't apply.
      OK thanks HAMPSHIREHOG. I will set it up as suggested: #1 arrow lined up with the top face of head, #2 arrow pointing straight up and #3 arrow lined up vertical with 19th pin attached and hope that will work for me.

Thanks everyone for the advice and TFB even though you did not reply your website contribution is invaluable.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Just a quick update for anyone doing the timing on a GS650E (as there is not much info available on this model as most 650s are the "G" model).

I fitted and timed the camshafts with the motor at TDC #1 cylinder on compression stroke.

Exhaust Cam #1 arrow about 1/2 a tooth above upper cylinder head surface. Remember the arrow would not line up exactly with the surface. It was either a bit above or a bit below.

Inlet Cam: Counted 19 pins from the pin above #2 arrow on exhaust cam to pin above #3 arrow on intake cam.

Then released cam chain tensioner and rotated motor half a dozen revolutions to check timing lined up again OK on the compression stroke on #1 cylinder.

I then checked the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust valves in crankshaft degrees and all the readings were within spec.

So I know the cams are installed correctly. One tooth out on either cam equates to 12 degrees so it is pretty easy to see if you are out of spec or not.

Comment

If it was my engine I would get a dial indicator and degree wheel and make sure. My cams set up at stock were WAY off, and now you are mixing and matching parts from different bikes from different continents
          Definatly a multinational motor you have there.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            If it was my engine I would get a dial indicator and degree wheel and make sure. My cams set up at stock were WAY off, and now you are mixing and matching parts from different bikes from different continents
            Definatly a multinational motor you have there.
            Funny you should say that as I picked up a dial gauge for $25 at a Ford swap meet last weekend. It should do the job nicely.

Comment

Working...
            X